Articles / Railway stations

Railway stations

Subject / Architecture

Railway stations. For the development of projects of railway stations on the first large-scale railway in Russia between Saint Petersburg and Moscow the committee consisting of architects K.A. Ton, R.A. Zhelyazevich, N.E. Yefimov, A.P. Bryullov was formed. The official opening of the railway, which was called Nikolayevskaya Railway in 1855, took place on 1 November 1851. By the opening 34 stations with terminals were built according to the standard designs of four classes. Big stations of the 1st and 2nd classes were placed at distant of 73-84 versts ( 1 verst = 3500 ft. ), and between them stations of the 3d and 4th classes wrer built at distant 18-37 versts. Terminals of the 1st and 2nd classes (the architect R.A. Zhelyazevich, engineers M.S. Volkov, I.F. Kenig and others) are different form each other with the sizes (the length of the 1st class terminal is 115 m, the length of the 2nd class terminal is 86.7 m). They were built according to the so-called island system: buildings are enclosed with covered galleries, under wich platforms are placed. Galleries were made of standard cast-iron columns and farms. The closest to St. Petersburg 1st class station is Malaya Fishera (in the Novgorod Oblast). On the Leningrad Oblast territory the 2nd class terminal at the station of Lyuban is preserved. The complex includes the rotunda covered with big saddle-back roof where a locomotive depot and workshops. In 1867 the church of Sts. Peter and Paul, Apostoles where a railway builder P.P. Melnikov was buried, was constructed not far from the terminal. The railway St.Petersburg - Warsaw, which was the next one according the the time of building, was opened on 15 December 1862. In 1872 the junction line of the Peterhof Railway (it was opened in 1857) to the town of Gatchina was built. On this line wooden station pavilions on platforms of Dudergof (Mozhayskaya) and Mariyenburg were preserved. The station "Gatchina Baitiyskaya" terminal was not preserved. On its place now there is the new building of pavilion style (1958, the architect L.V. Dobronitskaya). The railway satation terminal in Luga (1951) and the terminal "Gatchina Varshavskaya" (1947) were built on the project of the architect D.P. Buryshkin. The Gatchina Terminal was decorated sculpture frieze dedicated to the town liberation (the sculpture Ya. A. Troupyansky. In the 1950s "Stalin classicism" style station buildings were built on the stations of Volkhovstry and Petrokrepost. Their particular special appearance, emblem of the labour and war fame with their decoration remembered about the recent Victory. The terminal in the railway station of Ladozhskoye Ozero (1974), constructed in the form of conventionalized obstacle, is included into the memorial complex with a steam engine of the siege time. On the opened on 1 February 1870 line of the Finland railway the station buildings were wooden originally. Durin 1898 - 1917 they were rebuilt in stone in the "northern modernist style" according the projects of the architect B. Granholm. The Vyborg railway station terminal (1913, architects E. Saarinen and G. Geselius), destryed in the years of the World War II, issued from great works of the Finland architecture. The new building of the terminal (1953, architects A.V. Vasilyev, D.S. Goldgor and others) included fragments of the old construction, but according to the style it issues from the Soviet architecture of classical orientation. The complex refurbishment and accomplishment of the station constructions were made before the 150th anniversary of the October Railway which was celebrated in 2001. The reconstruction of the railvay terminal in the town of Tikhvin (it was built in 1900) was made in 2004 in connection with the preparations to celebrations devoted to returning the Tikhvin miracle-working icon of the Mother of God to the town.

Piryutko, Yuri Minayevich

Bryullov, Aleksandr Pavlovich
Buryshkin, David Petrovich
Dobronitskaya, Larisa Vladimirovna
Gezelius, Hermann
Goldgor, David Semyonovich
Granholm, Bruno
Kenig, Ivan Fyodorovich
Melnikov, Pavel Petrovich
Saarinen, Eliel
Ton, Konstantin Andreyevich
Troupyansky, Yakov Abramovich
Vasilyev, Aleksandr Victorovich
Volkov, M.S.
Yefimov, Nikolay Yefimovich
Zhelyazevich, Rudolf Andreyevich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Gatchina District/Gatchina Town
Topographical landmarks/Ladozhskoye Ozero, railway station
Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Luga Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Tosno District/Lyuban Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Gatchina District/Mariyenburg
Saint-Petersburg City/Mozhaiskaya Street
Neighbouring Territories/Novgorod Oblast, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vsevolozhsk District/Petrokrepost Railway Station
Leningrad Oblast, the/Tikhvin District/Tikhvin Town
Topographical landmarks/Volkhovstroy, railway station
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vyborg District/Vyborg Town

Богданов И.А. Вокзалы Санкт-Петербурга. СПБ., 2004, С.107-108, 139-140, 182-184

Subject Index
Raiway Station (Luga Town)
Raiway Station (Lyuban Station)
Raiway Station (Malaya Vishera Station)
The Church of Apostle Peter and Apostle Paul (Lyuban Town, Tosno District)
Warsaw Station (Gatchina Town)

Mentioned in articles:

Zhelyazevich, Rudolf Andreyevich (1811- 187?), an architect
Rudolf Andreyevich Zhelyazevich (1811- 187?), an architect, building expert. He learned abroad. Rudolf Andreyevich Zhelyazevich was an academician of architeture (1842) and a professor of the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts (1845). He worked at the... more