Articles / Vaulin ceramic factory, the

Vaulin ceramic factory, the

Subject / Architecture/Industrial architecture

The Vaulin ceramic factory (urban village Kikerino). In the city was organized the production of artistic ceramic tiles and glazed tiles,which plays an important role in the architecture of St. Petersburg of the modernist style early 20th century. Vaulin Petr Kuzmith is founder of the factory. In the 1890 he founded the pottery in the Abramtsevo village (at Mamontov S.I.) and then he work in the ceramic school in Mirgorod Town. In the 1906 Vaulin and O.O. Geldveyn were founded new workshop in the station Kikerino in the area were many blue Cambrian clay. There is small brickwork here since 1878. In the workshops “Geldveyn and Vaulin” were new technical equipments and they made produce which used on the fasade of the building in the northern climate. With these workshops worked N.K. Rerich, A.T. Matveev, S.V. Chekhonin and other artists. On the plant were made glazed tiles and majolica tiles for many buildings in St. Petersburg, as well as for Kronstadt Naval Cathedral, Yaroslavl station in Moscow and other Russian cities and abroad. For example tiled portal for the Russian pavilion at the Hygiene Exhibition in Dresden (1911) (in these days, he decorates the entrance to the library building VNIIEM in St. Petersburg.). In 1917 workshops were shut down and on his base was organized Manufacture of technical ceramics - plant "Horn". Vaulin some time remained a technical director of the plant.

Piryutko, Yuri Minayevich

Chekhonin, Segey Vasilyevich
Geldwein, O.O.
Mamontov, Savva Ivanovich
Matveyev, Andrey Matveyevich
Roerich, Nikolay Konstantinovich
Vaulin, Pyotr Kuzmich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Volosovo District/Kikerino Railway Station

Глезеров С. Творческая лаборатория в Кикерино. Периодика. URL:
Витязева-Лебедева В.А. Петербургское трехлучье исторических путей России // Отечественные записки, 2002. № 6(7)

Mentioned in articles:

Kikerino, urban settlement
KIKERINO, an urban settlement in Volosovo District. Population: 2,000. It is situated at the Bolshiye Kolpany-Volosovo road. The name is probably related to the Baltic Finnish last name Kekki (Kekke.) The toponym K. is mentioned in Novgorod’s... more