Articles / "Luzhskaya pravda" ("Luga Truth"), a newspaper

"Luzhskaya pravda" ("Luga Truth"), a newspaper

Subject / Literature. Mass Media./Periodicals

"Luzhskaya pravda" ("The Luga Truth") (73 Kirov Street, Luga Town), a social and political newspaper of the Luga District. The newspaper was founded on Aprill 11, 1918 as "Bulletin of the Luga Soviet of Deputies". During 1920-1960 the newspaper was named "The Peasants Truth", the organ of the uyezd and then district committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and the District Soviet. In the 1920s the newspaper was reputed to be one of the best uyezd newspapers in the country. In 1922 the magazine "The Peasants Truth" was published as a supplement for the newspaper. In 1930-31 and 1935 the newspaper traveling editorial staff worked. In 1962 the newspaper got its present name. In 1991 the newspaper was re-registered as the organ of the work collective and local administration. On present days the newspaper founders are the Leningrad Oblast Committee for Information Policy and Telecommunication, the Luga District Administration and the newspaper editorial board. The newspaper was issued two times a week, its circulation is 5.4 thousand copies. The newspaper throws light on the economic, social and political and culture life of the district. It gives attention on the life of village, the local self-administration problems, the ecology problems. There are columns of the local history: "Names which are connected with the Luga District", "The Luga District is Our Small Motherland", "In Ancient Times", "How Do You Live, Remote Place". A public reception worked at the editorial board. The newspaper is a laureate of several professional competitions. Every May the the relay race is held in the memoty of the ex-contributor V.P. Shabanov.

Ansberg, Olga Nikolayevna

Shabanov, V.P.

Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Luga Town/Kirov Prospekt

Жирков Г.В. Становление типа уездной советской крестьянской газеты // Журналистика Северо-Запада РСФСР. Л., 1976 (Проблемы журналистики. Вып.7), С.37-60

Mentioned in articles:

Luga District
LUGA DISTRICT, municipal entity. Population: 44,600. Area: 5993.1 sq. km. Located in the south of Leningrad Oblast. In the west, it borders Slantsy District, in the north, Volosovo, Gatchina, and Tosno Districts of Leningrad Oblast; in the east,... more

Periodical press. Till 1917 the periodical press was not developed good in the St. Petersburg Gubernia. The newspaper "Cankt Peterburgskiye vedomosti" ("The St. Petersburg Bulletin", 1838-1916) and the weekly magazine "Sankt Peterburgsky dukhovny... more