Articles / Gostinopolsky Monastery of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker

Gostinopolsky Monastery of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker

Subject / Religion. Church/Monasteries and convents

The Gostinopolye Monastery of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. It was located on the right bank of the Volkhov River to the south from the present-day village of Veltsa of the Volkhov district (the terrain feature of Nicholas pogost). The monastery was first mentioned in 1500. The four-column ambulatory single-domed church of St. Nicholas was built in the 15th century (1471-1475) and soon painted. The church frescos are the last monumen of monumental painting of the Novgorod School. Probably in the late 15th - early 16th century the highest iconostas was done the first in the Novgorod land (from 1930 fourteen icons have been placed in the State Tretyakov Gallery). The wooden church of the Holy Trinity was also mentioned in 1582. The monastery was suffered from Swedes in 1611. The new wooden church was built in 1749-1751. In 1764 the monastery was abolished and transformed into a parish. In 1913-1914 N.I. Repnikov did the research description of the church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. From 1935 churches did not work, they were closed in 1941. In 1942 the church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker was blown up and later demolished, the church of the Holy Trinity was also lost. The monastery is the object for the archeological research.

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Repnikov, Nikolay Ivanovich

Topographical landmarks/Urocishche Nikolsky Pogost
Leningrad Oblast, the/Volkhov District/Veltsa Village
Topographical landmarks/Volkhov River, the

Смирнова Э.К., Лаурина В.К., Гордиенко Э.А. Живопись Великого Новгорода. XV век. М., 1982., С.289-290, 336-343
Мельник А.Г. Иконостасы второй половины XV – начала XIV вв. церкви Николы в Гостинополье. URL:,
Седов Вл. В. Церковь Николы в Гостинополье XV в. // Архитектурное наследие и реставрация. М., 1990., С. 213-295

Mentioned in articles:

Volkhov District
VOLKHOV DISTRICT, a part of Leningrad Oblast. Area: 5124 sq. km, population: 97,300. Established in 1927. Adm. center: Volkhov Town. V. D. comprises the towns of Syasstroy and Novaya Ladoga, and 277 rural localities. Located south of Lake Ladoga on... more

Zelenets Holy Trinity Monastery, the
The Zelenets Monastery of the Holy Trinity (the railway Station Zelenets, the Volkhov district). It was founded between 1565 and 1570 by Venerable Martiriy, a monk of the Tikhvin Monastery, on Green island among swamps. The first churches , the... more