Articles / Syasky village church of of St. Nicholas (Volkhov District)

Syasky village church of of St. Nicholas (Volkhov District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

Syasky village church of St. Nicholas (the village of Gorka Khvalovskaya/ Khvalovo, Volkhov District, 6 Lenina St). The original wooden church of St Nicholas was built before 1582. In 1627, after the Swedish invasion, the new five small domes church was built on the place of the former church; in 1673 it was enlarged when the side-chapel of the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God was built. In 1827 the church was re-consecrated in the name of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God with the side-chapel of the Presentation in the Temple. The church was rebuilt in 1796, 1827, 1853-54. In 1822-1825 the stone church of the Holy Trinity, consecrated in 1825, was built to the design of the architect A. Makushev, architect of the Novgorog Eparchy, using the money of the merchant Mikhail Grechnikov from the village of Ostashkovo. The church had the traits of the Old Russian Architecture and the Classicism Architecture, the height of the bell tower with spire was about 45 m. Side-chapels were consecratef in the name of the Nativity of the Mother of God and St Nicholas. The part of the festival row and the Apostle row of the iconostasis which were removed from the Cathedral of St Nicholas in Novaya Ladoga in 1825, five liturgical books of the 17th c., the church icons of the Nativity of the Mother of God and St Nicholas with the icon platings and holy vessels of 1780 were among the objects of worship. The church was closed on 18 April 1941, it was transferred for the cultural institution. The church was returned to believers in the unsafe condition. The church is acted from 1995. The restoration work is continued. The church Sunday school, pilgrimage office and library are worked at the church. The wooden church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God (it was built before 1582 and it was dismantled in 1673), and the wooden church of the Presentation in the Temple of the Virgin Mary (it was built in 1820, it was dismantled in 1826) were in the pogost.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Grechnikov, Mikhail Savvich
Makushev, Aleksandr

Leningrad Oblast, the/Volkhov District/Khvalovo Settlement/Lenin Street
Leningrad Oblast, the/Volkhov District/Novaya Ladoga Town

Земля Невская Православная: Краткий церковно-исторический справочник / Науч. ред. В.В. Антонов. СПб., 2006.
Клавинг В.В. Храмы Санкт-Петербургской епархии. СПб., 2004, 152-153
Берташ А.В., Векслер А.В. Новая Ладога. СПб., 2004., 141

Subject Index
The Cathedral of Sainted Hierach Nicholas the Wonderworker (Novaya Ladoga Town)

Mentioned in articles:

Volkhov District
VOLKHOV DISTRICT, a part of Leningrad Oblast. Area: 5124 sq. km, population: 97,300. Established in 1927. Adm. center: Volkhov Town. V. D. comprises the towns of Syasstroy and Novaya Ladoga, and 277 rural localities. Located south of Lake Ladoga on... more