Articles / The Transfiguration Cathedral (Koporye Village, Lomonosov District)

The Transfiguration Cathedral (Koporye Village, Lomonosov District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Transfiguration Cathedral (Koporye Village, the Lomonosov District). The original stone cathedral with the side-chapel of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin was built in the Koporye Fortress in the second half of the 14th century. The cathedral foundation was a cubic form with an apse and four columns supported the only dome. In 1612 the cathedral was partly destroyed during the capture of the fortress by the Sweden troops. The cathedral was reconstructed in 1704-1704. During 1756-1760 a refectory and stone bell tower instead of the wooden one were built and the façade décor was made in the Baroque style according to the design of the architect S.A. Volkov. In 1854 the cathedral was burned, during 1854-1856 it was restored. The cathedral was closed in the late 1930s, it was suffered fron bombardments during World War II. In 1962 the cathedral had been burned as a result of an accidental ignition. On the present days the cathedral is ruined, walls is survived but without the roof. The restoration is planned. An added chapel is survived.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Volkov, Semyon Artemyevich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Lomonosov District/Koporye Village

Гоголицын Ю.М., Гоголицына Т.М. Памятники архитектуры Ленинградской области. – Л.: Стройиздат, 1989. – 303 с.: ил., 87-88
Земля Невская Православная: Краткий церковно-исторический справочник / Науч. ред. В.В. Антонов. СПб., 2006., 87-88
Клавинг В.В. Храмы Санкт-Петербургской епархии. СПб., 2004, 50

Subject Index
Koporye Fortress

Mentioned in articles:

Koporye Fortress
Koporye Fortress (village Koporye, on the bank of the river Koporka) is located on the top of the rock which surrounded by valley of the river and ravines. It is located 12 km from the Gulf of Finland. The fortifiers were attracted the convenient... more

Koporye, village
KOPORYE, a settlement in Lomonosov District. Population: 1,400. Located at the Koporka River, close to the railway station of the same name of the Kalische-Ust-Luga branch (opened in 1926.) The toponym K. supposedly originates from the verb “kopat”... more