Articles / The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God (Priozersk Town)

The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God (Priozersk Town)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God (Priozersk Town, 11 Kalinin Street) is the main cathedral of the town. The parish cathedral of the Nativity of Christ (it was built in 1296; in 1612 it was adapted by Swedes for the Lutheran church) and the Saviour Church located on Spassky Island were the predecessors of the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God. In 1716 in the New Fortress the Orthodox church was rebuilt from a stone Lutheran church (1684-1692), the first in the Karelian Isthmus, and was consecrated in the honour of the Nativity of the Mother of God (the town of Priozersk was reconquered from Swedes in 1716 on the day of the Festival of the Nativity of the Mother of God). The appearing miraculously icon of the Holy Face, the Vernicle became the cathedral main object of worship. Afterwards the cathedral become decrepit and was closed in 1836. In 1898 it was dismantled. During 1836 - 1847 the new stone church (design of the architect L.T.I. Visconti) was constructed on a rising ground in the western part of the trade square (later it was named as Soborny (Cathedral) Squarw, now it is Lenin Square). The one-domed 20-metre high cathedral with a bell tower above the narthex was built with using elements of the Old Russian architecture (kokoshniks are a false zakomara without vaulting). A Swedish bell of 1649 with the weight about one ton was considered a sight. The cathedral was closed in 1940, a commissary warehouse was plced in the cathedral building; from 1941 to 1943 under the Finnish power the religious services were renewed. Then (from 1949) a museum was placed in this building, in 1952 the Centre for Pioneers and Schoolschidren occupied the building, from 1953 a printing plant was placed there, later in the building there was a service centre. The cathedral was given back to belivers in 1991, from 1995 the cathedral was added as a city residence to the Konevets Convent of the Nativity of the Mother of God. An icon with the particles of the holy relics of Venerable Arsenius is the object of worship of the cathedral (1997).

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Visconti, Loise Tullius Joachim

Leningrad Oblast, the/Priozersk District/Priozersk Town/Kalinin Street
Topographical landmarks/Karelian Isthmus, the
Historical Toponyms/Keksgolm Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Priozersk District/Priozersk Town/Lenin Square
Topographical landmarks/Spassky Island

Дмитриев А.П., Лихой А.И. Приозерская земля: История и культура. СПб. – Приозерск, 2004., С.240-242

Subject Index
Konevets Munastery of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary

Mentioned in articles:

Priozersk, town
PRIOZERSK (Korela; Kexholm until 1948; Finnish Käkisalmi,) town, adm. center of Priozersk District. Population: 19,300. From 1310, the center of Russian possessions in Karelia. It belonged to Sweden in 1580-95 and in 1611-1710. It became territory... more

Town residence of monasteries
The town residences of monasteries. There were two periods of the town residences establising in the St. Petesburg Gubernia/Leningrad Oblast: 1) the late 19th - the early 20th century, 2) the late 20th century. In the period the town residences were... more