Articles / The Franciscan Monastery (Vyborg Town)

The Franciscan Monastery (Vyborg Town)

Subject / Religion. Church/Churches of other confessions
Subject / Religion. Church/Monasteries and convents

The Franciscan Monastery (Vyborg Town, 4 Vodnaya Zastava Street). The Monastery was founded in the 15th century. A monastery school building of the 16th century, built from granite boulders and bricks is survived. In the middle of the 17th century the building was rebuilt for the nobility assembly of the town and called as Knight House. In the 18th century "The Society of Vyborg Knights" made the large hall in the first floor; cellars and ground floor were used for utility rooms. In 1799 the building was adapted for the Catholic chapel of St. Hyacinthe. In 1856 the chapel got the rights of the parish church. Prelate Gustav-Adolg Karling was the church dean from 1914 until 1927. The church was closed in March 1940 after the conquering of the town by the Soviet troops. It worked during 1941-1944 and was finally closed in 1944, the building was damaged during World War II. The church building was restored in 1972 as the Knight House (according to the project of the architect M.A. Dementyeva); some interiors of the 17th-18th centuries were revived. The building was adapted for a children's art school.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Dementyeva, M.A.
Karling, Gustav -Adolf

Leningrad Oblast, the/Vyborg District/Vyborg Town/Vodnaya Zastava Street

Шкаровский М.В., Черепенина Н.Ю., Шикер А.К. Римско-католическая церковь на Северо-Западе России в 1917-1945 гг. СПб., 1998., С.132
Гоголицын Ю.М., Гоголицына Т.М. Памятники архитектуры Ленинградской области. Л., 1987., С.138
Кепп Е.Е. Архитектурные памятники Выборга. Л., 1977., С. 99-101

Mentioned in articles:

Catholity. The Catholic churches were in Novgorod and Ladoga in the North-West of Russia during the Kievan Rus. In 1293 the chapel were built in the Vyborg Fortress which was founded by Swedes, from 1351 it became the parish church of St Olaf. ... more

Vyborg, town
VYBORG (Swedish Wiborg; Finnish Viipuri, until 1948), town, adm. center of Vyborg District. Population: 79,200. The toponym Vyborg originates from the Old Norse Wiborg = “sacred fortress.” It was founded in 1293 at the place of the Vuoksa River’s... more