Articles / The Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God (Vyritsa Town, Gatchina District)

The Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God (Vyritsa Town, Gatchina District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God (Vyritsa Settlement, 49 Kirov Street). The wooden church of the Brotherhood in the name of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God for 600 people was built in the memory of the Tercentenary of the House of Romanov (by the architect M.V. Krasovsky with the participation of V.P. Apyshkov) during 1913-1914. The archipriest Porfiry Desnitsky was a builder and the first dean of the church. The tent-shaped church in the North-Russian style was surrounded with galleries, a bell gable of the Pskov type was placed from the West side of the church. The church was consecrated on 6 July 1914, later side-chapels were built up: the right side-chapel of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and the lower side-chapel of Venerable father Alexis the "Man of God" and St. Seraphim of Sarov. In 1919 the mosaic icon of St. Nicholas made by M.I. Zoshchenko, three icons made by N.A. Koshelev and the iconostasis from the church of St. Nicholas at the Charity House in the memory of N. and Ye. Brusnitsin were handed into the church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God. The former iconostasis was moved into the side-chapel of St. Nicholas. The church did not work from 1937 and was closed according the the resolution the Leningrad Oblast Executive Committee Presidium of 23 July 1939. In August 1941 it was opened. During 1930-1949 Venerable Seraphim of Vyritsa was a parishioner of the church (he was buried nearby the church). The archpriest Alexis Kibardin, the church dean during 1945-1950, the spiritual father of Venerable Seraphim, was arrested and sentenced in 1950 (after the liberation he lived in Vyritsa during 1955-1964, he was buried in the settlement cemetery). During 1968-2005 the archpriest Alexis Korovin was the church dean. The Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, the Icon of St. Panteleimon, two icons of Venerable Seraphim of Sarov (one of them - with a particle of the holy relics) are the church objects of worship.

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich
Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Apyshkov, Vladimir Petrovich
Brusnitsyns, The
Desnitsky , Porfiry Sergeyevich
Kibardin, Aleksey Alekseyevich
Korovin, Aleksy Ilyich
Koshelev, Nikolay Andreyevich
Krasovsky, Mikhail Vitoldovich
Serafim of Vyritsa (Vasily Nikolayevich Muravyev)
Zoshchenko, Mikhail Ivanovich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Gatchina District/Vyritsa Urban Settlement/Kirov Prospekt

Попов И.В. Святая Вырица // Санкт-Петербургские епархиальные ведомости. 2003. № 28-29., 79-102

Mentioned in articles:

Apyshkov, Vladimir Petrovich (1871 - 1939), an architect
Vladimir Petrovich Apyshkov (1871–1939) is an architect, engineer, teacher, theorist of architecture. He was graduated from the Nicolas Engineer Academy in St. Petersburg (1901). From 1902 to 1905 he was studing at the Architecture department of... more

Krasovsky, Mikhail Vitoldovich (1874 - 1939), an architect
Mikhail Vitoldovich Krasovsky (1874 - 1939), an architect, teacher, historian of architecture. M.V. Krasovsky graduated from the Institute of Civil Engineers in 1899. He was the architect N.V. Sultanov's student. From 1903 Krasovsky was a teacher,... more

Serafim of Vyritsa (Muravyev), (1866 - 1949), Saint, clergy figure
St Seraphim of Vyritsa (Vasily Nikilayevich Muravyev; 1866-1949), Venerable, clergy figure. In 1876 he moved in St Petersburg and worked as a delivery man in the Gostiny Dvor. In 1890 he married and had children. From 1892 he was a salesman. In 1897... more

Vyritsa, urban settlement
VYRITSA, an urban settlement in Gatchina District. Population: 13,700. It is situated on the Oredezh River. The name evidently originates from the Russian word “vyr’” meaning “deep” or “whirlpool.” The largest dacha settlement in terms of area... more