Articles / The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God (Ivangorod Town)

The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God (Ivangorod Town)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God (Ivangorod Town). The church was built using the local limestone by the Venice architect Marcus Grek in the Ivangorod Fortress probably in 1507-1509. The one story Pokrovsky side-chapel adjoined to the south-east corner of the two tier triapsidal church with the gallery. The light drums with spherical cupolas were constructed over the every volume. After 1681 the church was converted into the Lutheran kirk; in 1704, it was closed after the Russian troops captured Narva. In 1744 the church was again consecrated as the Orthodox church, in 1757 the side-chapel was restored and it was converted into the warm church. During the same years the high piramidal roof and the Baroque bell tower were constructed. In 1827-1864 the church was attached to the military administration. In the early 1919 the church was damaged by the artillery fire, Priest Aleksandr Volkov, the dean of the church (from 1907) was shot by Bilsheviks (he was buried in the Petropavlovskoye cemetery in Ivangorod, later he was canonized). In 1921 the church was consecrated after the restoration work. In 1930-1934 the Ministry of Defence of Estonia has attempts to destroy the church. In 1944 the main object of worship, the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God, was lost, others religious objects were lost also, the roofing and cupola were destroyed; the religious servoces were stopped. In 1974 the north gallery ruined. In 1976-1985 the restoration work was done. From 1994 the regular religious services were begun.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich
Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Grek, Markus
Volkov, Aleksandr Pavlinovich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Ivangorod Town

Мильчик М., Петров Д. Успенская церковь Ивангорода и ее венецианские прототипы // Крепость Ивангород. Новые открытия. СПб., 1997., С.124-163
Синякова Г.А. Русская Нарва // Санкт-Петербургские епархиальные ведомости. 2001. Вып. 25., С.70-72

Subject Index
Ivangorod Fortress

Mentioned in articles:

Icons, revered and miracle-working
Icons, revered and miracle-working. The Miracle-Working Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God, according to the legend , was painted by Apostle Luke. It was moved from Jerusalem to Constantinopole, where it dissappeared in 1383 and it appeared above... more

Ivangorod Fortress
Ivangorod Fortress (The Ivangorod Town is located on the right bank of river Narova) This fortress was founded in 1492 on the Devichiya Hill(Maiden Hill) and it is located opposite the castle order Narva. The fortress was named in honour of grand... more

Ivangorod, town
IVANGOROD, a town in Kingisepp District. Population: 11,200. Located at the western border of Leningrad Oblast. Established in1492, when a stone fortress named in honor of Ivan III, Grand Prince of Moscow and All Russia (see Ivangorod Fortress) was... more