Articles / The Porechsky Convent of the Intercession of the Mother of God

The Porechsky Convent of the Intercession of the Mother of God

Subject / Religion. Church/Monasteries and convents

The Porechsky Convent of the Intercession of the Mother of God (Kozya Gora Village, the Slantsy District). The petition about establishing a nun community was submitted on 7 June 1901 by contractors M.Ye. Yegorov and A.A. Kudryavtsev. The Holy Synod approved the organising of the community on 10 December 1902. According to the design of the architect V.A. Kosyakov during 1904-1905 the domestic church of St. Seraphim of Sarov was constructed in the wooden building of the refectory (it was consecrated on 11 February 1905) and the stone church of the Intercession of the Mother of God was built in the 17th century Russian churches style. Its main altar was consecrated on 29 January 1908, the left side-chapel of St. Nicholas was consecrated in 1913, the right side-chapel of the Apostles Peter and Paul and St. Maximus the Confessor was consecrated in 1916. The community was transferred into a convent according to the decree of the Synod of 17 March 1919. The number of nuns increased from 21 (in 1907) to 42 (in 1925). In 1925 the hegumenness Maria (Kudryavtseva) was arrested; the convent was reformed in a working co-operative which was liquidated in 1929. In 1929 the convent buildings were occupied by the kolkhoz "Krasnaya Zarya". The church of St. Seraphim was burned in the 1930s; the church of the Intercession of the Mother of God was closed in 1937 and opened again in autumn 1941 and work until our days. The archpriest Aleksy Kibardin was the church dean from April 1942 until August 1945. The icon of St. Seraphim of Darov and the icon of the Intercession of the Mother of God are the honoured icons.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Kibardin, Aleksey Alekseyevich
Kosyakov, Vasily Antonovich
Kudryavtsev, Andrey Artemyevich
Maria (Kudryavtseva)
Yegorov, Maksim Yegorovich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Slantsi District/Koz'ya Gora Village

Головин К.В., Соколова Л.И. Покровский Поречский женский монастырь на Козьей горе // С.-Петербургские епархиальные ведомости. 2003. № 28-29, С.70-76

Subject Index
Icons, revered and miracle-working

Mentioned in articles:

Ioann of Kronstadt (Sergiyev) (1829-1908), Saint, clergy figure
Ioann of Kronstadt (Ivan Ilyich Sergiyev; 1829-1908), Saint, clergy figure. Ioann of Kronstadt was a famous preacher and ecclesiastical writer. He graduated with honours from the Arkhangelsk Ecclesiastical College, Seminary in 1851 and the St.... more

Kosyakov, Vasily Antonovich (1862-1921), an architect
Vasily Antonovich Kosyakov (1862-1921), an architect, artist, teacher. He graduated from the Institute of Civil Engineers in 1885. In 1897 V.A. Kosyakov became an architect of Synod economic administration. From 1888 he became a teacher, in 1900 -... more

Orthodox monasteries
The Othodox monasteries. The oldest monasteries located on the territory of the Leningrad Oblast - the Monastery of the Dormition, the Monastery of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and the Zastenny Monastery of St. George in Ladoga were founded... more

Slantsi District
SLANTSY DISTRICT, a part of Leningrad Oblast. Population: 2,200 sq. km. Population: 47,900. S. D. comprises Slantsy Town (adm. center) and 155 rural localities. It borders Kingisepp, Volosovo, and Luga Districts of Leningrad Oblast, Gdov District... more