Articles / The Skete of St. Andrew

The Skete of St. Andrew

Subject / Religion. Church/Monasteries and convents

The Skete of St. Andrew of the St Alexander Nevsky Lavra (Agafon Meadow near the village of Korkino, the Vsevolozhsk District). "The Road of Death" or "The Road of Grief" was laid in these places during WWII and soldiers went to fight at "The Nevsy Spot" along this road. In the end of 1942 the troops, which broke through the blockade of Leningrad on 18 January 1943, were concetrated here, the headquarters was placed in the forest nearby. Skete was formed on the basis of the peasant farm "Cornerstone" of V.М. Elgin. He learned about historical and spiritual importance of these places and in 1995 he informed Metropolitan Ioann about it then Metropolitan Ioann blessed the constructing of the Holy Cross, approved the design of the chapel and suggested to organized the Skete named after St. Andrew, the "Firstcalled". The regulations on the skete were approved on 18 October 1998. In summer of 1999 the chapel was laid; later the project was proposed for the constructing of the alter joined the chapel ( then chapel was converted into church) and the bell tower with refectory and library. The Church of St Zosimus and St Sabbatius was consecrated by Archimandrite Nazary on 27 December 2003; The every week religious services were begun. The monk Seraphim (V.М. Elgin) was appointed as a builder of the scete. In 2002 The St Alexander Nevsky Lavra received a 2,5 hectare forest plot in the lease . The building of a bell tower, brother house and other constructions are continued.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Ioann (Ivan Matveyevich Snychev), metropilitan
Nazary (Nikolay Alekseyevich Lavrinenko), archimandrite
Serafim (Vladimir Mikhailovich Elgin), monk

Leningrad Oblast, the/Vsevolozhsk District/Korkino Village

На «Дороге скорби». Скит Андрея Первозванного // Вестник военного и морского духовенства. 2005. Спецвыпуск, С. 276-277