Articles / The Lutheran Church of St. Mary Magdalene (Primorsk Town, Vyborg District)

The Lutheran Church of St. Mary Magdalene (Primorsk Town, Vyborg District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Churches of other confessions

The Lutheran Church of St. Mary Magdalene (Primorsk Town, 5 Zavodskaya Street). The Lutheran Finnish parish of Byerke (Berezoostrovsky) has been from the 16th century. The new Gothic style stone church with the built up bell tower was constructed during 1900-1904 in Byerk (Koivisto) Town to the design of the architect Joseph Stenbek (Shtenbek). In 1906 it was visited by Emperor Nicholas II and his family. The church was closed in 1940 after the capture of the town by the Soviet troops. From autumn 1941, during the period of staying Finnish troops, the church worked, it was finally closed in 1944. In 1946 a club was placed in it, the church organ and stained-glass windows were lost after the repair. A community centre and museum is placed in the building on the present days. In the middle of the 1990s the Lutheran parish of St. Mary Magdalene was organised in Primorsk Town (1 Primorsky Road).

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Nicholas II, Emperor
Stenbek, Iosif Daniel

Historical Toponyms/Koyvisto
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vyborg District/Primorsk Town/Primorskoye Shosse (Primorsk Highway)
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vyborg District/Primorsk Town/Zavodskaya Street

Князева Е.Е., Соловьева Г.Ф. Лютеранские церкви и приходы в России XVIII-XX вв. Ч. 1. СПб., 2001., 78
Шкаровский М., Черепенина Н. История Евангелическо-лютеранской церкви на Северо-Западе России. 1917-1945. СПб., 2004, 203-204

Mentioned in articles:

Primorsk, town
PRIMORSK (Swedish Bjorko, Finnish Koivisto, Primorsk since 1948), a town in Vyborg District. Population: 5,300. Important port on the Baltic Sea. Connected with railways to St. Petersburg (1916) and Vyborg (1925). First mentioned in a chronicle... more

Ptimorsk Museum of the Local History
The Primorsk Museum of the Local history (Primorsk Town, 5 Savodskaya Street). It was founded on the basis of the public museum of the Primorsk boarding school in 1985. From 1996 the museum is placed in the building of the former Lutheran church of... more