Articles / "Gatchina", the State Museum-Reserve

"Gatchina", the State Museum-Reserve

Subject / Museums

"Gatchina", the Historical and Artistic, Palace and Park Museum Reserve (the town of Gatchina, Yekaterinverdsky Prospekt No.1). It was founded in 1918 when the Gatchina Palace and the Palace Park with buildings were opened for visiting. A.N Benois, V.Ya. Kurbatov, N.E. Lansere, V.F. Levinson-Lessing, V.K. Makarov, S.N. Balayeva and others participated in creating the museum. In the 1920s many works of art were taken by the State Museum Fund which occupied with redistributing art treasures. More then 12 thousand of museum exhibits (about 20% of the collection) could be evacuated in summer of 1941. Following the occupation the Gatchina Palace was burned, a part of parks was cutted, many park buildings were destroyed. The repair and restaoration works were started in 1944 with the assistance of the Museum Manager S.N. Balayeva, the architect M.M. Plotnikov, the architect A.A. Kedrinsky and others. 6 thousand of trees were planted, several buildings were restored by 1949. Several halls of the Gatchina Palace were opened in 1985 (main rooms of the main building first floor were restored: the Presence-chamber, Marble Dining-room, Throne-room of Paul I, Crimson drawing-room, White Hall; the displays of the museum funds were placed in halls of the second floor and the Building of the Arsenal). The Silvia Park and Zoo Park with buildings, the Priorate Palace and Park were restored. By 2005 the Museum Reserve included the Gatchina Palace (collections of paintings, sculpture, porcelain, European and Russian arms of the 16th-20th centuries, documents conserning the history of building the palace and park ensemble and its owners are presented in 11 halls), the Palace park, the Silvia Park, the Zoo Park and the Priorate Park. There are 20300 exhibits in the museum funds ( 1999). Chamber music concerts, opera performances are held in the Gatchina Palace and Park.

Margolis, Aleksandr Davidovich

Balayeva, Serafima Nikolayevna
Benois, Alexandr Nikolayevich
Kedrinsky, Aleksandr Aleksandrovich
Kurbatov, Vladimir Yakovlevich
Lancere, Nikolay Yevgenyevich
Levinson-Lessing, Vladimir Frantsevich
Makarov, Vladimir Kuzmich
Plotnikov, Mikhail Mikhaylovich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Gatchina District/Gatchina Town/Yekaterinverdsky Prospekt

Гатчинский дворец-музей и парк/Сост. А.В.Помарнацкий. Л., 1939
Семенов В.А. Портреты Гатчинского дворца. Л., 1991
Третьяков Н.С. Холодное и огнестрельное оружие Гатчинского дворца. Л., 1991
Музеи Санкт-Петербурга и Ленингр. обл.: Справ./Авт.-сост.: Ю.Б.Демиденко, Т.Н.Демиденко. СПб., 2002
Самсонова Р.И. Декоративно-прикладное искусство в Гатчинском дворце. Л., 1991

Subject Index
Gatchina Menagerie, the
Palace Park (the town of Gatchina)
Priorate Palace, the
Priorate Park (the town of Gatchina)
"Silvia", a park (the town of Gatchina)

Mentioned in articles:

Balayeva, Serafima Nikolayevna (1889-1960), a muse
Balayeva, Serafima Nikolayevna (1889-1960), a museum worker. She learned in the Higher Woman (Bestuzhev's) School between 1907-1911. Until 1919 S.N. Balayeva taught at the private woman high school of Mogilyanskaya. From 1919 S.N. Balayeva worked... more

Gatchina Palace -and - Park ensemble, the
The Gatchina Palace -and - Park ensemble. It is an architectural sight and garden-and -park monument of the 18-19th centuries of federal importance. The ensemble is included in the State Palace-and-Park and Art-and-Historic Culture Preserve... more

Gatchina, town
GATCHINA (Trotsk in 1923-27, Krasnogvardeisk in 1927-44), a town in Leningrad Oblast, adm. center of Gatchina District. Population: 82,900 (the largest town in the Leningrad Oblast.) First mentioned in the Novgorod scribe roll of 1499 -1500 as... more