Articles / The Transfiguration Church (Tolmachevo Village, Luga District)

The Transfiguration Church (Tolmachevo Village, Luga District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Transfiguration Church (Tolmachevo Village, the Luga District, 15 Parkovy Street). The wooden church with five high piramidal domes was built during 1893-1894 (by the architect N.V. Dmitriyev , with the participation of N.E. Teykh) at the Railway Station of Preobrazhenskaya. From autumn 1937 the church did not work. The dean priest Vasily Rumyantsev was arrested and shot in 1937. In 1938 it was closed and tranferred for a "cultural and educational institution". The church was opened in October 1941 by the archpriest Gennady Gorodetsky and was not closed more. In 1999 the church was burned, now the restoration work has been finished.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Dmitriyev, Nikolay Vsevolodovich
Gorodetsky, Gennady Mikhaylovich
Rumyantsev, Vasily Nikolayevich
Teikh, Nikolay Eduardovich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Tolmachevo Urban Village/Parkovaya Street

Земля Невская Православная: Краткий церковно-исторический справочник / Науч. ред. В.В. Антонов. СПб., 2006.

Mentioned in articles:

Tolmachevo, urban settlement
TOLMACHEVO, an urban settlement in Luga District. Population: 3,400. It is situated on the banks of the Luga River. The St. Petersburg-Pskov railway and Kiev Highway extend close by. Up to the early 1990s, there was steamboat service from the... more