Rubricator / Architecture / Fortresses and other fortifications

Annensky fortifications (Vyborg Town)
Annensky fortifications (Vyborg Town) (They are located in the town of Vyborg between Petrovskaya embankment and Batalyonnaya street).The system of the defensive military constructions is located in the south-east part of Tverdysh Island. The... more

Batareinaya Hill (Vyborg Town)
Batareinaya Hill (Vyborg Town). This is the rocky hill in the east part of the town. This hill is located between Batareynaya, Sbornaya and Krepostnaya streets. The name is connected with building the Vostochnovyborgsky (East Vyborg )... more

Clock Tower (Vyborg Town)
Clock Tower (Vyborg Town). It was built in 1494 as bell tower of the Vyborg cathedral (it was destroyed in 1710). Originally it was tchetverik on octagonal base that was put from large boulders and crowned with spire and weathercock. In 1753 the... more

Forts of the Kronstadt Fortress
Forts of the Kronstadt Fortress. There are forts (coastal fortifications) of the Kronstadt naval Fortress in the territory of Leningrad Oblast: Ino (Vyborg district), Red Mountain and Grey Horse (Lomonosov district). The building of these powerful... more

Grey Horse, a fort
Grey Horse (since 1919 was Forward, after was Krasnogvardeysky) is a fort. It is located on the promontory of the same name in the south coast of the Gulf of Finland, in the 6 kilometers of west from fort Red Mountain, around Goravaldayskogo Lake. ... more

Ino, a fort
The Ino fort (it was named Nikolaevskiy to 1917). The fort is located on the cape Inoniemi on the north coast of the Gulf of Finland in the region of the railway station Privetninskoye (Vyborg District). The fort was built in 1908-16. It was named... more

Ivangorod Fortress
Ivangorod Fortress (The Ivangorod Town is located on the right bank of river Narova) This fortress was founded in 1492 on the Devichiya Hill(Maiden Hill) and it is located opposite the castle order Narva. The fortress was named in honour of grand... more

Keksgolm Fortress, see Korela, fortress

Koporye Fortress
Koporye Fortress (village Koporye, on the bank of the river Koporka) is located on the top of the rock which surrounded by valley of the river and ravines. It is located 12 km from the Gulf of Finland. The fortifiers were attracted the convenient... more

Korela, fortress, the
The Korela fortress (the town of Priozersk located on the bank of the River Vuoksa). The historic names: Kyakisalmi ("The Cuckoo Strait"; the Karelian name), Karelian Town (the Novgorod name), Korela (the Moscow name), Keksgolm (the Swedish name).... more

Krasnaya Gorka, a fort
Krasnaya Gorka, a fort (Alekseevskiy fort and in 1919-44-Krasnoflotskiy fort). The fort is located on the hill Krasnaya Gorka on the south coast of the Gulf of Finland in the area of the village Lebyagie. The fort was built in 1908-16. It is named... more

"Krasny Zamok" ("The Red Castle")
"Krasny Zamok" ("Red Castle") (The Vsevologsk Town, Koltushskoye highway,33). This is the building from the bricks and stones. It is located at the north mountainside of the Rumbolovskaya hill. The castle is a narrow and high wing which flanking by... more

Maanerheim Line

Noteburg, see Schlusselburg Fortress

Obruchev, fort

Oreshek, see Schlusselburg Fortress

Pantserlaks, a bastion (Vyborg Town)
Pantserlaks (Vyborg Town, Luzhskaya Street, 1) is a bastion of the so-called Rogatnaya Fortress (1563 – 1590s, fortifiers A. Maalari, I. de Mess) that defended suburb of Vyborg – Zemlyanoy Town. The three-cornered bastion was built in 1579-81, it... more

Rif, fort

Rogaty (Horned) Fortress

Round Tower (Vyborg Town), the
The Round Tower (Vyborg Town, The Market square). The tower was built by fortifier Gans Bergen. The tower was located in 20 m from the fortress wall which defended Vyborg from the outside Novgorod road. The tower protected Skotogonnuye Gate (The... more

Shlisselburg Fortress, the
The Shlisselburg Fortress (untill 1612 it is called Oreshek, from 1612 untill 1702 – Noteburg) is an ancient Russian fortress on Orekhov Island, on the Neva River where it flows out of Lake Ladoga. In 1323 Grand Prince Yury Danilovich and citizens... more

Staraya Ladoga Fortress
Staraya Ladoga Fortress is located on the bank of the Volkhov River near the confluence of the Ladozhka River. It protected Novgorod lands from attacks fron North, from the side of Sweden. According to annalistic data the first wooden... more

Tiversk military post, a fortress
Tiversk military post, a fortress (Priozersk district, in 3.5 km to south from Vasilevo Settlement). The reinforced settlement on island in the middle of the Vuoksa River, near the Tiuri rapids that was tribal and handicraft centre of the Karelian.... more

Totleben, fort

Vyborg Castle, the
The Vyborg Castle (the town of Vyborg, Zamkovy (Castle) Island). It is located on the island in the Krepostnoy (Fortress) Strait in the place where the Vuoksa River flows into the Vyborg Bay. It was founded in 1293 by the Swedish Ruler Torkel... more

Yamgorod Fortress
Yamgorod Fortress (Kingisepp, in the right bank of the Luga River). The Yam fortress was built in 1384 during 33 days under the direction of Novgorod posadniks. It controlled water and land passes from Novgorod to port towns of Baltic. It repelled... more