Articles / Otradnoye, town

Otradnoye, town

Subject / Topography/Cities

OTRADNOYE, a town in Kirovsk District, on the left bank of the Neva upstream of the influx of the Tosna. Population: 21,600. It was established on Oct. 24, 1970 by integrating Ivanovskoye (established in 1957) and Otradnoye (established in 1940) urban settlements. The town is situated in a triangle between the Neva’s left bank, mouth of the Tosna, and St. Petersburg-Mga railway line. It is connected to St. Petersburg and Kirovsk with a motor road. Within O. there is a wharf on the Neva and two railway stations, Ivanovskoye and Pella. Archeological finds indicate that the South Coast of Ladoga where O. is located has been populated since the Neolithic period. According to the scribe rolls of the late 15th and 16th cc., the territory was well developed. Ivanovskaya village in the mouth of the Tosna was first mentioned in written sources in 1708. In 1784, Catherine II purchased an estate in Ivanovskoye (see Pella.) In the mid-19th century, a copper rolling mill was built there, and the settlement was unofficially named Mednoye. The picturesque landscapes and proximity to St. Petersburg attracted the capital’s nobility and dacha residents. Writers N. G. Pomyalovsky, N A. Leikin, and A. P. Tchekhov lived and visited there. The dacha area in way of Ivanovskaya was called Otradnoye. The urban development of today’s O. in its eastern part has a block planning, with building mostly of the 2nd half of the 20th c. The western part (Ivanovskoye) has retained a more old-fashioned appearance. During WWII, and especially in 1942, the area of O. was a site of bloodshed battles. In honor of the feat of Soviet soldiers, the “Neva Threshold” stele monument was erected in 1965. The town has a Palace of Culture, library, and Fortuna culture center.

Yegorov, Sergey Borisovich

Catherine II, Empress
Chekhov, Anton Pavlovich
Leikin, Nikolay Aleksandrovich
Pomyalovsky, Nikolay Gerasimovich

Historical Toponyms/Ivanovskoye of Kirov District
Historical Toponyms/Ivanovskoye Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Ivanovskoye, Railway Station
Topographical landmarks/Neva River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Otradnoye Town
Topographical landmarks/Pella, Railway Station
Topographical landmarks/Priladozhye
Topographical landmarks/Tosna River, the

Аркадьев В. Кировск. Л., 1974.
Официальный сайт м. о. «Отрадненское». URL:

Subject Index
"Nevsky Rapids", monument
Otradnoye Palace of Culture
Otradnoye Town Library, the
Pella, a palace ensemble