Articles / Lesogorsky, urban settlement

Lesogorsky, urban settlement

Subject / Topography/Urban settlements

LESOGORSKY (Jaski before 1948, also Jaaski and Jaskis; Finnish Jääski), an urban settlement in Vyborg District. Population: 3,000. It is situated on the left bank of the Vuoksa River at the Kamennogorsk-Imatra railway branch. The name supposedly has a Slav origin. The village of Jaski was the center of a volost of the same name and St. Peter parish. First mentioned in the text of the 1323 Peace Treaty of Orekhovo, which gave the parishes (pogosts) of Jaskis, Äyräpää, and Savolax to Sweden. After the Russian-Swedish war of 1741-43 it went to Russia (see Vyborg Gubernia.) In 1918-40, it belonged to the independent Finland. After 1940, it was a workers’ settlement in the USSR (in the Karelo-Finnish Republic in 1940-44, and since 1944, in Leningrad Oblast.) Up to 1960, it was the center of Lesogorsky (Jaski before 1948) district, then a part of Vyborg District. Jaski is the birthplace of U. T. Sirelius (1872–1929), one of the founders of the Finnish ethnographic school, professor of the Helsinki University. JSC Lesogorsky Artificial Fiber Factory is based in L. The settlement has a culture center and a library.

Chistyakov, Anton Yuryevich

Sirelius, Uno Tavi

Historical Toponyms/Vyborg Gubernia/Euryapyassky Uyezd
Neighbouring Territories/Finland
Historical Toponyms/Karelian Finland SSR (Soviet Socialist Republic)
Historical Toponyms/Lesogorsky District
Topographical landmarks/Vuoksa River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vyborg District

Subject Index
Lesogorsk House of Culture
Lesogorsky Settlement Rural Library, the