Articles / Baryshevo, settlement

Baryshevo, settlement

Subject / Topography/Villages

BARYSHEVO, a settlement in Vyborg District. Population: 299. It situated on the bank of the Vuoksa River. It was established in 1949 in a merger of the localities Paakkola, Ojapelto, Seppälä, and Pölläkkälä. Pölläkkälä (the name originates from the peasant’s last name Pölläkkä) was known from 1553-54, it used to be a large village, and was the center of Äurapää volost and parish in 1925-40 (the volost was established in 1925.). Before 1940 it was an important railway junction (the railway was built in 1930; currently non-existent) and a wharf on the Vuoksa River in Finland’s territory. In 1933-34, a Lutheran church was built on Cape Lammasniemi (Fish-hook); it was destroyed in 1940. A memorial sign is installed in its place. The current name was given in 1949 in memory of Jr. Lieutenant L. A. Baryshev who was killed in action near Paakkola village in 1944.

Chistyakov, Anton Yuryevich

Baryshev, Leonid Aleksandrovich

Historical Toponyms/Euryapyae Village
Neighbouring Territories/Finland
Topographical landmarks/Kryuchok Cape
Historical Toponyms/Oyapelto Village
Historical Toponyms/Paakkola Village
Historical Toponyms/Pyollyakkyalya Village
Historical Toponyms/Seppyalya Village
Topographical landmarks/Vuoksa River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vyborg District

Балашов Е.А. Карельский перешеек. Земля неизведанная. Ч. 7: Центральный сектор: Муолаа – Яюряпяя (Красносельское – Барышево). СПб., 2004, С. 71-77, 189-201