Catholity. The Catholic churches were in Novgorod and Ladoga in the North-West of Russia during the Kievan Rus. In 1293 the chapel were built in the Vyborg Fortress which was founded by Swedes, from 1351 it became the parish church of St Olaf. In the 15th–16th cc the Franciscian Monastery and the Dominician Monastery were in Vyborg, and the Catholic churches worked in neighboring settlements. All Catholic establishments became the Protestant establishments after the adoption of Lutheran in Sweden. In 1706 the Catholic church was opened in St Petersburg after Russia won back the lands of the Neva River. In 1772 the Mogilev Catholic Eparchy was established in Russia, its head lived in the capital. In 1773 the first Mogilev Bishop Stanislav Sestrenkevich was in the same time the Title Bishop of Abo (Turku). In the late 18th century the parish in Vyborg was re-opened. The Catholic magazine ""Belief and Life"" was published in 1908-1912. 17 churches were included in the Petrograd Dean Administration in 1914 and the Cathedral of St Catherine was the main temple. About 100,000 men were the members of the Catholic Church. Poles were the most part of Catholic. 22 parish and attachment churches and 59 chapels functioned in the Petrograd Guberniya in October 1917. The Catholic cemeteries, in the boundary of the contemporary Leningrad Oblast, were in the following cities: Luga, Yamburg, Lutskaya Colony (now the settlement of Maly Lutsk, Kingisepp District), the wasteland of Gubin Klin, the Yablonetskaya Volosy, the Luga Uyezd (for Latgal men ), the settlement of Druzhnoselye (the Gatchina District). The secret monasteries functioned in Shuvalovo, Ozerki, Popovka Station until 1927. Repressions against religion including Catholic began in 1918 which lasted until the 1930s. In 1937-1938 the mass closing of Catholic churches took place including the churches in Luga and Gatchina. Mikhail Floran was the only Catholic priest in the Leningrad Oblast after Ioann Vorslav, senior priest of the Catholic church, and 29 parish activists were arrested and executed in Luga in 1937. The Catholic church was opened in Luga in autumn of 1941 during the Nazi occupation, but it was closed in January 1944 after the arrival of the Soviet troops. In the 1960s ""the strolling"" priests appeared, they travelled across the country including the Leningrad Oblast and performed the ecclesiastical guidance. In 1986 the revival of the religious communities began. In 1991 the Catholic church was opened in Pushkin, in 1996 the Catholic church was opened in Luga, in 1997 the Catholic church was opened in Gatchina. The Catholic churches of the Leningrad Oblast are included in the North-West Region of the Apostle Administration of the North of the European part of Russia and Archbishop Tadeush Kondrusevich, its administrator, is the Head of the Confederation of the the Catholic Bishops of Russian Federation.
Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich
Floran, Mikhail (Klovis-Francois)
Kondrusevich, Tadeush, metripolitan
Vorslav, Ioann Iosifovich
Leningrad Oblast, the/Gatchina District/Druzhnoselye Settlement
Leningrad Oblast, the/Gatchina District/Gatchina Town
Historical Toponyms/Saint Petersburg Gubernia, the/Luga Uyezd/Gubin Klin
Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Luga Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kingisepp District/Maliy Lutsk Village
Historical Toponyms/Petrograd Gubernia
Leningrad Oblast, the/Tosno District/Popovka, Railway Station
Historical Toponyms/Veliky Novgorod
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vyborg District/Vyborg Town
Historical Toponyms/Yamburg Town
Шкаровский М.В., Черепенина Н.Ю., Шикер А.К. Римско-католическая церковь на Северо-Западе России в 1917-1945 гг. СПб., 1998.
Vuorela K. Finlandia Catholica. Katolinen Kirkko Suomesa 1700-luvulta – 1980-luvulle. Helsinki, 1989
Свящ. Бронислав Чаплицкий. История Церкви в России. СПб., 2000.
, С. 15-16, 50-51, 65-66, 111-121.
The Church of St. Olaf (Vyborg Town)
The Dominican Monastery
The Franciscan Monastery (Vyborg Town)
"Vera I zhizn" ("Faith and Life"), a magazine
Vyborg Castle, the