Articles / Lounatioki Convent of St. Seraphim

Lounatioki Convent of St. Seraphim

Subject / Religion. Church/Monasteries and convents

The Lounatioki Woman Monastic Community of St. Seraphim (the village of Zakhodnoye, the Vyborg district). It was founded in the 1900s with the blessing of archbishop of Finland Sergius (Stragorodsky) in a dacha area Lounatioki (from 1948 the village is called Zakhodnoye) nearby the Railway Station of the same name of the Finland Railway. The big wooden church of Venerable Seraphim of Sarov (the length is 23.5 meters, width is 17 metres) in the North Russian style and a cell building were built in 1908-1909 on the plot bought by the community. Originally the public worships were performed by invitee priests generally in summer and attended by summer residents, then services were performed constantly. 20-30 nuns lived in the community by 1917. When Finland received the independence most of nuns evacuated to Petrograd in 1918-1919, some of them moved into the Lintula Convent of the Holy Trinity. By 1920 the community was closed. In 1921 the empty building of the church was transported to the parish of Tiurula in Ladoga Lake Karelia (on the place of burned in 1919 church). It was consecrated on 24 December 1922. During 1922-1939 the church worked as the parish one. The church was burned during the war battles in the summer of 1941.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Sergius (Ivan Nikolayevich Stragorodsky), patriarch

Leningrad Oblast, the/Vyborg District/Zakhodskoye Settlement

Попов И.В. Храм преподобного Серафима Саровского // СПб. епархиальные ведомости. 2005. № 1-2, С. 48

Subject Index
Lintulsky Convent of the Holy Trinity