Articles / The Church of the Resurrection of Christ (Voskresenskoye Village, Gatchina District)

The Church of the Resurrection of Christ (Voskresenskoye Village, Gatchina District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Church of the Resurrection of Christ (Voskresenskoye Village, 1 Tsentralnaya Street). In an estate of Count P.M. Apraksin the first wooden church was built in 1718. From 1759 the grange of Suida was owned by A.P. Hannibal, a necropolis had been formed near the church; in 1796 A.S. Pushkin's parents were married in the church. In 1845 a new church was constructed. Later it became dilapidated and according to the initiative of archpriest Nikolay Bystryakov (he was a native of Suida, the church dean from 1899 to 1944, was subjected to repression) during 1913-1916 the new church was built. The wooden church for 600 people was built in the Russian style (architects D.P. Ryabov and E. Fisher). From 1920 in general burial services were performed in the old church, in 1937 it was closed and transferred for the kolkhoz community centre. In the period of occupetion on 28 August 1941 the new church was burned as the result of the direct hit of a Soviet shell. On 29 August public services were begun to performe in the old church which was burned on 4 November 1964. In 1965 belivers solicited about building a new building but they were refused. From 1992-1999 a new wooden church in the Old Russian style with elements of the Modernist style was built in the village (the architect A.A. Semochkin).

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich
Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Apraksin, Pyotr Matveyevich, Count
Bystryakov, Nikolay Andreyevich
Fisher, E.
Hannibal, Abraham (Ibrahim) Petrovich
Ryabov, Dmitry Pavlovich
Semochkin, Aleksandr Aleksandrovich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Gatchina District/Voskresenskoye Village/Tsentralnaya Street

Бурлаков А. Суйдинские храмы. Суйда, 1992

Subject Index
"Suida", a museum-estate

Mentioned in articles:

"Suida", a museum-estate
"Suida", a museum-estate (the Gatchina district, Suida Village, 4 Central Street). Between the 12th and 15th centuries the Suida pogost was an administrative and territorial centres of the Koporye uyezd of the Vod pyatina. Peter I granted the... more