Articles / The Cathedral of St. Catherine, Great Martyr (Luga Town)

The Cathedral of St. Catherine, Great Martyr (Luga Town)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Cathedral of St. Catherine, the Great Martyr (Luga Town, 54 Kirov Prospekt). It was the first church in the town. A small one-altar cathedral built in the Early Classicism style with one apse and column portico from the western side was constructed for the state treasury money during 1780-1786, a garden was laid around the cathedral. In 1848 the the cathedral was rebuilt, a small one-tier bell tower was constructed over the antechurch. During 1924-1934 the cathedral belonged to the Revivalists. It was closed on the resolution of the Leningrad Oblast Executive Committee Presidium of 10 June 1934, transferred for a culture-educational enterprise, rebuilt with destroying the dome of the bell tower. During the years of the occupation of Luga Town (1941-1944) the cathedral was used for a warehouse. Until December 1992 the children Cinema ""Rodina"" was placed in the cathedral building. The cathedral was returned to belivers. The consecration and first liturgy took place on 17 June 1933. The activity of the Alexander Nevsky Society of Soberness (it was being from 1899 until 1918) with a school of sobering up was renewed at the cathedral in 2001. The sacred icon of the Dormition of the Mother of God with a part of the holy relics of St. Ioann the Patriarch of Tsargrad is kept in the cathedral. From 1789 until the closing in the cathedral there was the miracle-working icon of the Dormition of the Mother of God {""Pecherskaya""). Until 1918 every June religious processions with the icon from the cathedral to the chapel at the Pechersky Source (it was demolished in the 1930s, reconstructed and consecrated on 14 June 1996) took place (they were renewed in 1996).

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich
Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Luga Town/Kirov Prospekt

Попов И.В. Лужские храмы // Санкт-Петербургские епархиальные ведомости. 1998. № 18. С. 69-78, С. 59-66
Попов И.В. Лужские храмы // С.-Петербургские епарх. ведомости. 1998. № 19., С. 69-78

Mentioned in articles:

Icons, revered and miracle-working
Icons, revered and miracle-working. The Miracle-Working Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God, according to the legend , was painted by Apostle Luke. It was moved from Jerusalem to Constantinopole, where it dissappeared in 1383 and it appeared above... more

Luga, town
LUGA, town, adm. center of Luga District. Located 142 km (139 by railway) south of St. Petersburg on the Luga River, after which it was given its name. Population: 40,400. The town is a junction of motor and railroad routes to St. Petersburg,... more

Russian-Estonian deanary
Russian-Estonian deanary. People of the Baltic States were originally baptized by the Orthodox Church, from 13th с they were converted in Catholicism, from 16th с they were converted in Lutheran. In 1841 the Estonia peasants began to convert... more

The Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ (Luga Town)
The Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ (Luga Town, 54 Kirov Street). In 1869 the trusteeship for building a new church was organised in connection with considerable growth of the parish people of the cathedral of St. Catherine the Martyr in... more