Articles / The Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God (Luga Town)

The Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God (Luga Town)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God (Luga Town, 27 Gagarin Street). The church was built during 1901-1904 to the design of the architect N.G. Kudryavtsev who presented the relic a cross with the particles of the Life-giving Tree and Golgotha to the church. The church was consecrated on 10 August 1904. The building was built in the Byzantine style. The combinaton of the three-part composition with a bell tower over a narthex, which is traditional for Russian churches, and the centric general section with three semicircular in plane projections is unusual. The church was closed in 1936 (it was officially closed in 1938) and transferred to a driving school. Floors were made on the church building, the decoration was lost. The building was used for a warehouse, garage, dormitory, library; in August 1941 the 41th Rifle Corps headquarters staff was placed in the church. The church was opened duting the Nazi occupation; the flors were demolished and the building was repaired. On 20 October 1942 the church was consecrated . From March 1947 the church was graded as a cathedral. During 1976-1977 the cathedral was repaired, the interior was painted. On 3 February 1977 the cathedral was consecrated by Bishop Melitan (Solovyev; he was the dean of the cathedral during 1955-1965). A church Sunday school was opened in 1991. In 2005 the complete overhaul of the roof and facades were done. The Icon of the Dormition of the Mother of God ("Pechersky"); the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God and the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God (both from the Kudryvtsevs' estate church); the Icon of Saviour; the Icin of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker; the Icon of Sts. Olga and Vladimir from the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Luga Town are the cathedral's objects of worship.

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich
Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Kudryavtsev, Nikolay Galaktionovich
Meliton (Mikhail Dmitriyevich Solovyev)

Leningrad Oblast, the/Luga District/Luga Town/Gagarin Street

Казанская церковь в Луге // Невский духовный вестник. 1990. № 4., С. 7-8
Попов И.В. Лужские храмы // Санкт-Петербургские епархиальные ведомости. 1998. № 18. С. 69-78, С. 59-66
Попов И.В. Лужские храмы // С.-Петербургские епарх. ведомости. 1998. № 19., С. 69-78

Mentioned in articles:

Icons, revered and miracle-working
Icons, revered and miracle-working. The Miracle-Working Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God, according to the legend , was painted by Apostle Luke. It was moved from Jerusalem to Constantinopole, where it dissappeared in 1383 and it appeared above... more

Kudryavtsev, Nikolay Galaktionovich (1856 - 1941), an architect
Kudryavtsev, Nikolay Galaktionovich (1856 - 1941), an architect. Kudryavtsev graduated from the St. Petersburg Building College in 1877. He served at the Technology Building Committee of the Ministry of Internal Affairs from 1877-1896). Не was a... more