Articles / The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God (Penino Village, Slantsy District)

The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God (Penino Village, Slantsy District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God (Penino Village, the Slantsy District). The original wooden church was firstly mentioned in 1499. It was burned in 1771 and restored by 1789. The stone three-throne church (the architect N.N. Nikonov), one of the best Russian Style churches in the epatchy, was built to the south-east from the old church during 1893-1900. The main Holy throne was consecrated by St. Ioann of Kronstadt in 1900. The archpriest Ioann Kadochnikov, the dean of the church until 1932, was subjected to repressions in 1937. In 1939 both churches were closed. At the beginning of World War II churches were damaged as the results of bombardments, the wooden church was destroyed. The stone church was restored in 1942 and in the early 1943 it was consecrated, but soon it was damaged again and closed. In 1953 the church was transferred to the kolkhoz "Dekabrist" for a warehouse. The church building was survived partly. On the present days the parish was registered, it began the restoration works.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich
Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Ioann of Kronstadt (Ivan Ilyich Sergiyev)
Kadnikov, Ioann Vasilyevich, archpriest
Nikonov, Nikolay Nikitich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Slantsi District/Penino Village

Мнушко А. И. Пенино. Козья Гора // Санкт-Петербургские епархиальные ведомости. 2003. Вып. 28-29., С.77-78
Пенино (Сумерский погост). URL:, С.77-78

Mentioned in articles:

Nikonov, Nikolay Nikitich (1849 - 1918), an architect
Nikolay Nikitich Nikonov (1849 - 1918), an architect,expert of the "russian style". From the 1860s Nikonov learned at the Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg. During 1893-1906 Nikonov was the architect of the St. Petersburg Eparchy. He was the... more

Slantsi District
SLANTSY DISTRICT, a part of Leningrad Oblast. Population: 2,200 sq. km. Population: 47,900. S. D. comprises Slantsy Town (adm. center) and 155 rural localities. It borders Kingisepp, Volosovo, and Luga Districts of Leningrad Oblast, Gdov District... more

The Church of the Rising of the Cross (Opolye Village, Kingisepp District)
The Church of the Rising of the Cross (Opolye Village). The original wooden church was built in Chelyudi on the territory of the Opolye Vozdvizhensky Pogost before 1500; it was rebuilt in 1734, it was dismantled in 1874. The stone church with... more