Articles / Lomonosov, Mikhail Vasilyevich (1711-1765), a scientist, literary man

Lomonosov, Mikhail Vasilyevich (1711-1765), a scientist, literary man

Subject / Literature. Mass Media./Personnel

Lomonosov, Mikhail Vasilyevich (1711-1765), a scientist, poet, enlightener, honorary member of the Academy of Arts (1763). Lomonosov learned at the Slavonic-Greek-Latin Academy in Moscow during 1731-1735, from 1735 he learned at the Academic University in Saint Petersburg, during 1736-1741 he learned in Germany. From 1742 M.V. Lomonosov was an ad'yunkt, from 1745 he was an academician of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences. In 1748 Lomonosov made the first chemistry laboratory in Russia. He laid the foundation of physical chemistry. Lomonosov was the author of works on Russian history, poems, poem epistles, tragedies, comedies, basic philosophical works and the grammar of the Russian language. M.V. Lomonosov revived the art of mosaic work and the production of smalt, together with his students Lomonosov created mosaic pictures (including "Poltava Battle", 1762-1764), portraits. M.V. Lomonosov was buried at Lazar Cenetery of the Alexander Nevsky Monastery. In 1948 Oraniyenbaum Town was renamed Lomonosov Town. In 1753 according to Tsar's order M.V. Lomonisov got nine thousand desyatinas of land in the Koporye Uyezd of the St.Petersburg Gubernia near Oraniyenbaum Town for building a glass factory (now it is the place Ust-Ruditsa at the junction of the rivers Lopukhinka (the Ruditsa) and Chyornaya, the Lomonosov District). The factory for production colour glass and smalt for mosaic pictures was built at the River Ruditsa mouth. In 1768 the factory was closed and all building were destroyed. At that place there was an estate owned to Lomonosov's descendants. Later the estate was owned to the Orlovs. In 1919 the estate was destroyed, the main manor-house was burned. In the 1950s the Academy of Sciences expedition carried out the archaeological dig at the place of the factory. The granite obelisk with the inscription "M.V. Lomonosov worked here. !753-1765" was set in 1959. Lomonosov's factory and estate territory in Ust-Ruditsa was announced an federal object of the culture heritage.

Margolis, Aleksandr Davidovich

Lomonosov, Mikhail Vasilyevich
Orlovs, the

Historical Toponyms/Saint Petersburg Gubernia, the/Koporye Uyezd
Leningrad Oblast, the/Lomonosov District
Saint-Petersburg City/Lomonosov Town
Topographical landmarks/Ruditsa River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Lomonosov District/Ust-Ruditsa Locality

Лихоткин Г.А. Ломоносов в Петербурге. Л., 1981
Ломоносов: Краткий энциклопедический словарь. СПб., 1999
Достопримечательности Ленинградской области / Сост. И.А.Орлова. Л., 1977., С.411-414

Subject Index
Ust-Ruditsa, a country estate