ASTRACHA, a village in Boksitogorsk District. Population: 48. It situated on the left bank of the Tikhvinka River, at the Novaya Ladoga-Yaroslavl Highway, 3 km north-west of the railway station of the same name. The name originates from the dialect word “ostrachen’” (small perch.) There are burial mounds of the Ladoga Coast culture dated the break of the 1st and 2nd millenniums A.D. near the village. In November-December 1941, the Soviet troops stopped the German Nazis near A. during the Tikhvin Operation, and passed to the offensive. On December 9, 1975 the remains of Soviet soldiers found in the village’s environs were buried near it, and the memorial complex and the “Astracha 1941” Museum of Military Glory were opened. In 1978, a stele in memory of the Komsomol volunteer battalion formed in 1941 was erected near A.
Yegorov, Sergey Borisovich
Leningrad Oblast, the/Boksitogorsk District
Topographical landmarks/Tikhvinka River, the
Астрачинский рубеж мужества и стойкости (Рекламный проспект). Бокситогорск, 1985
Калинин М.А., Федяев А.И. Бокситогорск – Пикалево. Л.. 1983.
Самушенкова М.Л., Файнштейн Л.А., Шаскольский И.П. Тихвин: Ист.-краевед. очерк. Л., 1984.
"Astracha. 1941", a museum.
Kurgans (barrows) of the southern Ladoga Lake region.