BESEDA, a settlement in Volosovo District. Population: 1000. Initially, it was an estate built by M. S. Lalayev in the early 19th c. The estate was purchased by A. F. Weimarn in 1829. P.A. Weinmarn, his son, was a resident in B. and he bequeathed it to the Yamburg Uyezd Zemstvo (the two-storey wooden landlord’s house has survived.) In 1901, the Zemstvo Agricultural School was opened in B. (currently, Beseda Agricultural Technical School), for which a new three-storey building was erected in 1910-12. Later, a settlement grew around the school; type five-storey residential houses appeared in it in the 1970s. At that time, a new educational building and hostel were constructed for the school. Today, builders, veterinary medical assistants, livestock experts, agronomists, and farm managers are training at the school. The school has a museum dedicated to the settlement’s history and events of WWII. A monument is erected in memory of the war, and the Luga Frontier battles in way of B. in 1941. Near B., medieval stone crosses have survived (see Stone Crosses), and sepulchrum burial mounds of the 12th-13th cc. are known. The Beseda culture and leisure center is active.
Chistyakov, Anton Yuryevich
Lalayev, Matvey Stepanovich
Weimarn, Aleksandr Fyodorovich
Weimarn, Pavel Aleksandrovich
Leningrad Oblast, the/Volosovo District/Beseda Settlement
Мурашова Н. Беседа // Адреса Петербурга. 2005. №20/32.
, С. 92-94
Memorials to the Great Patriotic War
Museum devoted the history of Beseda Village and events of the World War II.
Pustomerzha, a country estate