KOBONA, a village in Kirovsk District. Population: 133. Located near the Ladoga Canals on the coast of Lake Ladoga, at the mouth of the Kobonka River. The toponym originates from the Finnish “hapana” = rotten. It is mentioned in Novgorod’s scribe roll of 1499/1500. Its church of St. Florus and St. Laurus the Martyrs is mentioned under 1568-69. Historically, the residents of K. were engaged in fishing. From the 18th century, after the construction of the Ladoga (Staroladozhsky) Canal, the residents of K. and neighboring coastal localities were mostly in trade. During WWII, in 1941-44, K. was an important transport junction on “The Road of Life”, with a port and a railway branch extended to the port, and an evacuation point. K. has the “Kobona: The Road of Life” museum, and a memorial cross in honor of the 60th anniversary of opening of “The Road of Life.” Poet A. A. Prokofiev was born and grew up in K.; a museum of A. A. Prokofiev was established in the 1980s. The church of St. Nicholas the Miracle Worker is active. The environs of K. are a popular place with fishing fans.
A. Y. Chistyakov
Chistyakov, Anton Yuryevich
Prokofyev, Aleksandr Andreyevich
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District
Topographical landmarks/Kobonka River, the
Topographical landmarks/Ladoga Canals, the
Topographical landmarks/Ladoga Lake
Topographical landmarks/Staroladozhsky Canal, the
Гадло А.В., Егоров С.Б., Верняев И.И., Чистяков А.Ю. Этнография Северо-Запада России. Южные окрестности Петербурга – Приладожье – центральные районы Псковщины. СПб., 2004.
"Kobona: the Road of Life", a museum
Museum of A.A. Prokofyev, the
The Church of Sainted Hierach Nicholas the Wonderworker (Kobona Village, Kirovsk District)
The Church of St. Laurus and St.Florus (Kobona Village, Kirovsk District)