Articles / The Church of Sainted Hierach Nicholas the Wonderworker (Kobona Village, Kirovsk District)

The Church of Sainted Hierach Nicholas the Wonderworker (Kobona Village, Kirovsk District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Church of St Nicholas the Wonderworker (Kobona Village, the Kirovsk District). In 1568 in the village of Kobona there was the church of Sts. Laurus and Florus. The church of St. Nicholas was firstly mentioned in the first half of the 17th century, on 21 April 1765 it was burned. According to the petition of the landowner Lieutenant-General M.M. Izmaylov and the blessing of Metropolitan Gabriel (Petrov) in 1765 a wooden church was transported from the village of Dubno and re-consecrated in the honour of St. Nicholas. On 6 March 1816 the church was burned. During 1820-1821, under Count I.A. Musin-Pushkin, the owner of the Kobona estate, a new stone church was constructed on the shore of Ladoga Lake by the priest Stephen Alekseyev with the parish people. During 1860-1861 the church was lightly rebuilt by the architect M.A. Shchurupov, the side-chapel in the name of Sts. Peter and Paul was demolished. The church top is with traditional five onion-shaped domes as an Old Russian church, the decoration of facades were conformed to the traditions of the transition epoch from the Baroque to the Classicism. Nearby the church there was a cemetery (some pre-revolutionary gravestones, including the gravestone of the priest Capito Mikhailovsky and gravestones of the Novaya Ladoga town merchants Gribanovs, are survived until the present days). The church was closed in 1936 (officially - in 1939), the church dean archpriest Iakov Chulkov was shot. During World War II in the church there was an evacuation centre for inhabitants of blocade Leningrad, then a warehouse was placed there. From 2000 the church was included into Zelenets Monastery of the Holy Trinity. On the present days the church outside look restoration have been finished , regular public worships are performed.

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Alekseyev, Stefan, priest
Chulkov, Iakov Dmitriyevich
Gavriil (Pyotr Petrovich Petrov- Shaposhnikov), metropolitan
Gribanovs, the
Izmailov, Mikhail Mikhaylovich
Mikhaylovsky, Kapiton Iakovlevich
Musin-Pushkin, Ivan Aleksandrovich
Shchurupov, Mikhail Arefyevich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Volkhov District/Dubno Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Kobona Village
Topographical landmarks/Ladoga Canal, the

Земля Невская Православная: Краткий церковно-исторический справочник / Науч. ред. В.В. Антонов. СПб., 2006., С. 92, 248

Subject Index
Zelenets Holy Trinity Monastery, the

Mentioned in articles:

Kirovsk District
KIROVSK DISTRICT, a part of Leningrad Oblast. Area: 2590.9 sq. km. Population: 97,000. Located in the central part of Leningrad Oblast. In the north, it borders the Lake Ladoga coast; in the north-west and west, Vsevolozhsk District, in the west,... more

Kobona, village
KOBONA, a village in Kirovsk District. Population: 133. Located near the Ladoga Canals on the coast of Lake Ladoga, at the mouth of the Kobonka River. The toponym originates from the Finnish “hapana” = rotten. It is mentioned in Novgorod’s scribe... more

Shchurupov, Mikhail Arefyevich (1815 - 1901), an architect
Shchurupov, Mikhail Arefyevich (1815 - 1901), an architect, sculptor, applied art artist, restorer of the Old Russian architecture monuments, teacher. Shchurupov graduated from the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts in 1836. During 1837-1855 he lived... more