Articles / The Church of All Saints whose Light Shone Forth in Russian Land (Sosnovo Village, Priozersk District)

The Church of All Saints whose Light Shone Forth in Russian Land (Sosnovo Village, Priozersk District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Church of All Saints whose Light Shone Forth in Russian Land (Sosnovo Village, Priozersk District). In the 15th с the Orthodox church in the name of St Basil the Great, with attached chapels situated in the area of the preset villages of Ivanovo, Orekhovo and Razdolye( the Rovduzhsky Vasilyevsky Pogost), existed in the village of Rautu (now it is the village of Sosnovo). There are no mentions about this church after 1577. In 1864-18-65 the wooden church of St Andrew, the "First called" Apostle was built to the design of the architect G.I.Karpov on the territory of the former pogost in the village of Palkeala (Zamostye), the nearest village to Rautu. This church was destroyed during the war of 1939-40. In 1994-1998 the wooden church, with the baptistery-chapel in the name of St Nicholas and in the name of St Basil the Great and with the north porch-chapel in the name of the Icon of the Mother of God "The Live-Bearing Spring", was built on the initiative and under the ruling of Archpriest Aleksandr Prokofyev, from 1993 he was the dean of the parish which was again organized in Sosnovo. The basis of the constructing composition is a chetverik with four extensions which formed the cross. The height of the church is 25 m, there are nine bulbous domes. The particle of the holy relics of St Sergius of Radonezh was put into the altar part of the logframe. The interior decoration was made in the Greek tradition ( Greek philanthropists took part in the decoration works in 1998–2000 ). The iconostasis and the most part of icons designed by A.B. Prokofyeva. Now the "Holy Ensemble", in the style of the Russian wooden architecture of the 17th-18th cc, was built to the design of the architect E.P. Varakin, the architect A.G. Kurochkin, architects brothers Nadezhdiny, the architect V.P. Rombachev . It includes, besides the church, the high pyramidal roof bell tower having the height of 28m (2000-02) and with the bell having the weight of 2 tonne (the biggest bell of the wooden constructing), the bell gable for 12 bells (2003), the Holy entrance gateway (2003-04), the chapel-over store (2005) and auxiliary constructions.

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Karpov, Grigory Ivanovich
Kurochkin, Aleksey Gennadyevich
Nadezhdins, the
Prokofyev, Aleksandr Aleksandrovich, archbishop
Prokofyeva, Anna Borisovna
Rombachev, Vladimir Pavlovich
Varakin, Yevgeny Pavlovich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Priozersk District/Ivanovo Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Priozersk District/Orekhovo Settlement, Railway Station
Leningrad Oblast, the/Priozersk District/Razdolye Village
Historical Toponyms/Rovduzhsky Vasilyevsky Pogost
Leningrad Oblast, the/Priozersk District/Sosnovo Settlement
Leningrad Oblast, the/Priozersk District/Zamostye Village

Храм Всех Русских Святых в Сосново. Б. м., б. г.

Subject Index
The Church of Andrew, the "First Called" Apostle (Zamostye Village, Priozersk District)
The Church of St. Basil the Great (Sosnovo Village, Priozersk District)

Mentioned in articles:

Sosnovo, settlement
SOSNOVO (Finnish Rautu before 1948), a settlement in Priozersk District. Population: 6000. Located south of Lake Razdolinskoye (Finnish Leihinkylanjarvi) at Sosnovo railway station of the St. Petersburg-Priozersk branch. The toponym Rautu originates... more