Articles / The Lutheran Church of St. John (Sevastyanovo Village, Priozersk District)

The Lutheran Church of St. John (Sevastyanovo Village, Priozersk District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Churches of other confessions

The Lutheran Church of St. John (the Priozersk District, Sevastyanovo Village, 3 Novaya Street). The original stone Lutheran church in the Finnish village of Kaukola (Sevastyanovo) was known from the 1940s. In 1751 the church was called in the name of St. Ioann (ruins are survived). The new wooden cross-shaped Gothic style church with a detached bell tower was built in 1779 according to the design of the architect E. Kollenius. In 1931 the church was burnt to the ground. The stone red brick church was built during 1932-1933 to the design of the architect P. Byerk. The building work was not completed, during the war the building was suffered from bombardments. After the war the upper part of tower, choir gallery and altar, benches and floors were demolished. During 1988-1992 the church building was restored and adapted for a youth centre. In the middle of the 1990 a community was organised, parishioners got opportunity to hold festivals in the church.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Bjerk, Paavo
Kollenius, Eskil

Leningrad Oblast, the/Priozersk District/Sevastyanovo Settlement/Novaya Street

Князева Е.Е., Соловьева Г.Ф. Лютеранские церкви и приходы в России XVIII-XX вв. Ч. 1. СПб., 2001., 102
Исторические евангелическо-лютеранские церкви и приходы на северо-западе Росии. СПб., 2003, 16
Шкаровский М., Черепенина Н. История Евангелическо-лютеранской церкви на Северо-Западе России. 1917-1945. СПб., 2004, 231

Mentioned in articles:

Priozersk District
PRIOZERSK DISTRICT, municipal entity. Population: 63,300 (of these, 20,500 live in Priozersk town, the adm. center.) Area: 3,563.1 sq. km. Located in the eastern and north-eastern parts of the Karelian Isthmus. It borders Vsevolozhsk and Vyborg... more