KIROVSK, town, adm. center of Kirovsk District. Population: 25,400. It is situated on the left bank of the Neva. The town extends along the bank for more than 5 km, and has a quay. The “Kola” highway is 5 km south of K.; the town is connected with motor roads to most of the district’s localities. Close to K. is Nevdubstroy railway station, from which a branch extends to the Mga station on the St. Petersburg-Volkhovstroy line. In 1929, it became Nevdubstroy Settlement supporting the construction of a district powerplant. In 1934, the district powerplant was given the name of S. M. Kirov, one of the initiators of its construction. On May 20, 1936 it became a workers’ settlement, and on Nov. 5, 1953 it was transformed into a town of district jurisdiction and given its current name. In 1965 it was given the status of an oblast jurisdiction town. Since Apr. 1, 1977, it is the center of the district of the same name. During WWII, the settlement was completely destroyed in fact, with just a few buildings remaining. It was restored in the post-war period, when its current architectural image was formed. In the 1950s–1960s it was mostly built up with two- or three-storey buildings, and since the 1970s, with five- or six-storey ones. The administration of the “Breaking-through of the Leningrad Siege” reserve museum is based in K. K. has a culture center, town library and children’s library, Youth House of Creativity, and children’s schools of music and arts. The “Ladoga” newspaper is published, and the Novy Kanal radio station and Ladoga-TV studio broadcast. A monument to S. M. Kirov (sculptor E. V. Vuchetich) is erected in the central square of the town. The church of the Beheading of St. John the Baptist is active.
Yegorov, Sergey Borisovich
Kirov, Sergey Mironovich (the real name was Kostrikov)
Vuchetich, Yevgeny Victorovich
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Mga Urban Settlement
Topographical landmarks/Neva River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Nevdubstroy Railway Station
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Nevskaya Dubrovka Village
Аркадьев В. Кировск. Л., 1974.
Даринский А.В. Ленинградская область. Л., 1975.
Кировск. Фотоальбом. Л, 1979
Культура Ленинградской области на рубеже тысячелетий. СПб., 2003
По Неве и Волхову. СПб., 1982.
Kikovsk Children Art School
Kikovsk Youth Creativity House
Kirov House of Culture
Kirovsk Children Library, the
Kirovsk children music school
Kirovsk Town Library, the
S.M. Kirov, monuments to
"The Break of the Leningrad Siege", a museum-reser
The Church of the Beheading of St. John the Precursor (Kirovsk Town)