Articles / Lyuban, town

Lyuban, town

Subject / Topography/Cities

LYUBAN, a town in Tosno District. Population: 4,600. It is situated on the Tigoda River. The town is crossed by the St. Petersburg-Moscow railroad line; it is connected to other localities of the district and oblast with motor roads. The town’s name is of a Slav origin. It is supposed that the stem “lyub/loob” indicates one of the trades of the local people, i.e. bast wicker-work. The first information on the settlement can be found in the 1499/1500 scribe roll of Vodskaya Pyatina. From the mid-19th century, L. was a volost center of Novgorod Uyezd, Novgorod Oblast. In 1851, a railroad that extended across L. was started. As a result of integration of three basic localities: Lyuban village, Gorka estate, and the railway station settlement, Lyuban-Gorka settlement was formed. On Apr. 13 (according to other sources, June 3), 1917 it was transformed into Lyuban Town. In 1927, it became a district center of Leningrad Oblast, and in 1930, a part of Tosno District. During WWII, from 1941 till early 1944, the town was occupied by German troops. On Nov. 30, 1966 L. was awarded the order of Lenin. The architecture of today’s L. combines buildings of rural and urban types. The railroad and the Tigoda River divide the locality into several blocks. L. has retained several architectural monuments. Among them are the railway station building (1850; arch. R. A. Zheliazevich), and St. Apostles Peter and Paul’s church. In 1955, a bronze bust of P. P. Melnikov (sculptor D. M. Yepifanov) was installed. In the church cemetery, monuments and obelisks are erected at the places of burial of Soviet soldiers. The life and activities of many figures of Russian culture are related to L. and its environs. A. N. Radischev traveled via L. in 1763, who dedicated a chapter in the book “A Journey from Petersburg to Moscow” to this place. In the summer of 1860, N. G. Chernyshevsky had a rest and worked there. At different times, writers N. K. Mikhailovsky and P. V. Zasodimsky lived in L. Artists A. P. Bogolyubov and V. V. Maté were born near L. Artist A. P. Ryabushkin lived and worked near L. in 1887-1904 (in 1957, his remains were re-buried in L.) The town has a culture center, Lyuban town library, children’s library, and children’s school of arts.

Yegorov, Sergey Borisovich

Bogolyubov, Aleksey Petrovich
Chernyshevsky, Nikolay Gavrilovich
Mate, Vasily Vasilyevich
Melnikov, Pavel Petrovich
Mikhailovsky, Nikolay Konstantinovich
Radishchev, Aleksandr Nikolayevich
Ryabushkin, Andrey Petrovich
Yepifanov, Dmitry Mikhailovich
Zasodimsky, Pavel Vladimirovich
Zhelyazevich, Rudolf Andreyevich

Historical Toponyms/Lyuban-Gorka Settlement
Historical Toponyms/Novgorod Gubernia (Province)/Novgorod Uyezd
Topographical landmarks/Tigoda River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Tosno District
Historical Toponyms/Novgorod Land/Vodskaya Pyatina ("Fifth") (The territory of Novgorod Land located between rivers the Luga and the Volkhov and on the shores of Ladoga Lake)

Измайлов А.Ф. Любань. Л., 1979.
Толмачев А.Л., Цуканов П.Д. Век Любани. Серия «Русская открытка». Вып. 1. ООО «Лига Плюс». СПб., 2001
Неофициальный сайт города Любань. URL:

Subject Index
Luban children arts school
Luban-Gorka, a country estate
Lyuban House of Culture
Lyuban Children Library, the
Lyuban Town Library, the
Raiway Station (Lyuban Station)
The Church of Apostle Peter and Apostle Paul (Lyuban Town, Tosno District)