Articles / The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God (Lezye Village, Kirovsk District)

The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God (Lezye Village, Kirovsk District)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God (Lezye Village, Kirovsk District). In the 16th century on the left and right banks of the Mga River there were two wooden churches of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. During 1714-1715 in the neighbouring village of Uspenskoye the wooden church of the Assumption was built (it was rebuilt during 1785-1786, demolished in 1850). According to the initiative of Prince B.N. Yusupov, the owner of the estate of Uspenskoye, in 1842 the design of a one-altar stone church was made (the architect B.Ye. Morgan). In 1849 the design of a three-altar church, consecrated on 2 December 1851 under Prince B.N. Yusupov - junior , was approved. Three-part church, with a tent-shaped bell tower over the porch, was closed to model designs of K.A. Ton. The left side-chapel was devoted to St. George the Victorious, the right side-chapel was devoted to the Annunciation of the Holy Virgin; whereby the village of Uspenskoye (Dormition Villafe) was become to name the village of Blagoveshchenskoye (Annunciation Village). The church was enlarged during 1878-1880). The parish included Voitolovo Village, Lezye Village, Sologubovka Village, Petrovo Village and Turishkino Village. The church did not work from 1938, on 27 July 1940 it was closed and used as a "cultural and educational institution". Public worships were performed for the period of the occupation from the end of 1941 until January 1944. A German soldier hospital was placed in the church crypt. In June 1946 the church was given to Lenoblpishcheprom (Leningrad Oblast Food Industry). Later the church was empty and it went to ruins. In 1998 it was given to belivers community. The church was restored with help of the German People Union for the Care about Military burial places as a church-monument of the reconciliation of nations. A German military cemetery and "The Park of Peace" (see the article "The Park of Peace") was opened on 9 September 2000 nearby the church. At the church there is a library, a summer camp for orphan children works.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich
Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Morgan, Vasily Yegorovich
Ton, Konstantin Andreyevich
Yusupov, Boris Nikolayevich, Prince
Yusupov, Nikolay Borisovich, Prince

Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Lezye Village
Topographical landmarks/Mga River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Petrovo Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Sologubovka Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Turyshkino Village
Historical Toponyms/Uspenskoye, Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Kirovsk District/Voytolovo Village

Открытие храма и музея в с. Лезье (Сологубовка) // Церковный вестник. № 10. 2003., 27-28
Мурашова Н.В. Сто дворянских усадеб Санкт-Петербургской губернии: Исторический справочник. СПб., 2005., 164-168

Subject Index
"The Park of Peace", memorial, the
Uspenskoye, a country estate

Mentioned in articles:

Sologubovka, settlement
SOLOGUBOVKA, a village in Kirovsk District. Population: 361. Located on the right bank of the Mga River. North-east of S. is the railway station of the same name of the Mga-Kirishi line (opened in 1919). In the 19th c. it was the Uspenskaya estate.... more

"The Park of Peace", memorial, the
"The Park of Peace" is a memorial park located between the villages of Lezye and Sologubovka (the Kirov district). On its territory there are graves of Soviet soldiers and Wehrmacht soldiers perished during World War II and memorial granite steles... more