Articles / Resurrection Monastery, the

Resurrection Monastery, the

Subject / Religion. Church/Monasteries and convents

The Monastery of the Resurrection (The Tosno district, Macarius hermitage). It was located on the left bank of the Lezna River about 20 kilometres to the North-East from Lyuban. The monastery was founded in the first half of the 16th century on the the place of the hermitage by Venerable Macarius of Rome (in 1764 it was abolished). In 1840 the new cathedral was built on the place of the dilapidated church of the Dormition (the middle of the 16th century), the carved reliquary was placed over the burial place of Venerable Macarius. From the middle of the 19th century pilgrims gathered to the holy relics, in the 1870s a almshouse was established. In 1894 the monastery was renewed as the practice-mission monastery of the Resurrection for the counteraction to sectarianism and the Old Belief. People mission conversations started in the church of the Dormition in May 1895. The society of soberness was created at the Monastery of the Resurrection, in 1915 it was transformed into Macarius Brotherhood. In 1903-1905 a hotel, community and superior wings were built. In 1915 the stone Cathedral of Archangel Michael was consecrated; in 1900-1901 the wooden church of All Venerables whose Light Shone Forth in the Fast and Deeds was built on the island where Venerable Macarius died; and in 1914-1916 the stone cathedral of the same name was built, a scete was arisen at it. The monastery churches at city residences were: the domestic church of the Exaltationof the Holy Cross at the Railway Station of Lyuban (1901) and a stone church of the Iberian Icon of the Mother of God at the Railway Station of Malaya Vishera (1901; both churches do not survived). In 1922 a part of the monastery territory was passed to a sovkhoz, but public worships in churches was continued, 30-40 moks lived in wings. In 1932 the all community (about 30 monks) was arrested and sentenced to imprisonment. In May 1932 the monastery churches were closed, building were passed to a department of the Svirsky camp. In 1935 a part of the monk communite, released from custody, settled near the monastery and performed secret religious services. Until 1941 an asylum for disabled people was placed in the monastery rooms. The monastery was destroyed during World War II. In 2005 the holy relics of Venerable Macarius was found; a new village was built for money of charitable organizations and people with the assistance of the Tikhvin Monastery of the Dormition.

Shkarovsky, Mikhail Vitalyevich

Makary the Roman, St.

Topographical landmarks/Lezna River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Tosno District/Lyuban Town
Topographical landmarks/Makaryevskaya Wilderness

Сыренский А., диак. О Макариевской пустыни, находящейся в Новгородской губернии и уезде. СПб., 1873
Орлов В.С. Макариевская пустынь // Санкт-Петербургские епархиальные ведомости. 2000. № 21-22, С. 92-105

Subject Index
Tikhvin Dormition Convent, the

Mentioned in articles:

Orthodox monasteries
The Othodox monasteries. The oldest monasteries located on the territory of the Leningrad Oblast - the Monastery of the Dormition, the Monastery of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and the Zastenny Monastery of St. George in Ladoga were founded... more

Town residence of monasteries
The town residences of monasteries. There were two periods of the town residences establising in the St. Petesburg Gubernia/Leningrad Oblast: 1) the late 19th - the early 20th century, 2) the late 20th century. In the period the town residences were... more