Articles / Bolshaya Vruda, village

Bolshaya Vruda, village

Subject / Topography/Villages

BOLSHAYA VRUDA, a village in Volosovo District. Population: 2,100. It situated in the upper reaches of the Vruda River (right-hand tributary of the Luga), on the Volosovo-Opolye Highway south-west of Vruda railway station of the Gatchina-Ivangorod branch. The toponym Vruda originates from “vrutets” (Old Russian) = “spring”. It is mentioned in Novgorod’s 1499/1500 scribe roll as the center of the Vruda Pogost of the Mother of God. A burial mound dated 12th – 14th cc. has been found in the southern outskirts of B. V. (see Cult Stones.) The village has the Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God. It has a library and a school of music. Since 2002, a district basketball event in memory of D. Mardilovich has been annually held in its secondary school. D. Mardilovich was born in B. V., he was killed in action in Chechnya in 2000 and posthumously decorated with the Order of Virtue (memorial plaque on the school’s building.) The head office/estate of JSC Syaglitsy is located in B. V.

Chistyakov, Anton Yuryevich

Mardilovich, Dmitry

Topographical landmarks/Luga River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Volosovo District
Topographical landmarks/Vruda River, the
Historical Toponyms/Vrudsky Bogoroditsky Pogost

Subject Index
Bolshaya Vruda children music school
Bolshaya Vruda Rural Library, the
Cult (worship) stones
The Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God (Bolshaya Vruda Village, Volosovo District)