Articles / The Cathedral of Sainted Hierach Nicholas the Wonderworker (Novaya Ladoga Town)

The Cathedral of Sainted Hierach Nicholas the Wonderworker (Novaya Ladoga Town)

Subject / Religion. Church/Orthodox churches

The Cathedral of Sainted Hierach Nicholas the Wonderworker (Novaya Ladoga Town, 49 Karl Marks Street). The oldest church of the town was originally included into the Medvedkovo Monastery of St. Nicholas. The church was built by Novgordian masters of the end of the 15th - 16th century from the Volkhov slabs and bricks. The high of the cubic church with the dome is 23 metres. Its architectural image is conformed to the traditions of the architecture of the Novgorod provinces. In 1711 the northern side-chapel of the Dormition was built up, in 1812 the main four-tier golden iconosts decorated with carving was made. According to a petition of the town residents one more side-chapel was done in the cathedral podklet during 1892-1896 (the architect M.A. Shchurupov). On the outside wall of the cathedral in the open turned to the river niche, placed on the high of 8 metres there was the respected icon of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker (the 16th century). At the icon there was a bronze lantern with icon-lamp, which was used as a leading light for ships gone on the Volkhov River. In the middle of the 1870s a porch, iron stairs and balcony on columns were made in front of the icon (they are survived). The image and inner decorations were lost after closing the cathedral in 1938 (the cathedral was returned to belivers in 1947, it was closed in 1961 the second time). On the present days the cathedral is tumbledown.

Bertash, Aleksandr Vitalyevich

Shchurupov, Mikhail Arefyevich

Leningrad Oblast, the/Volkhov District/Novaya Ladoga Town/Karl Marx Prospekt
Topographical landmarks/Volkhov River, the

Берташ А.В., Векслер А.В. Новая Ладога. СПб., 2004., С.65-72

Subject Index
Medvedsky Monastery of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker

Mentioned in articles:

Novaya Ladoga, town
NOVAYA LADOGA, town in Volkhov District. Population: 10,000. Located in the central part of Leningrad Oblast in the Priladozhskaya Lowland, in the mouth of the Volkhov River, 25 km north of Volkhov Town. Administratively, the town also comprises... more

Syasky village church of of St. Nicholas (Volkhov District)
Syasky village church of St. Nicholas (the village of Gorka Khvalovskaya/ Khvalovo, Volkhov District, 6 Lenina St). The original wooden church of St Nicholas was built before 1582. In 1627, after the Swedish invasion, the new five small domes... more

The Church of SS Peter and Paul (Krenitsy Village, Volkhov District)
The Church of Apostle Peter and Apostle Paul (Krenitsy Village, Volkhov District). The original wooden church was built on the left bank of the Vokhov River in the 16th c, the first mention about it was in 1568, later it was dismantled.... more