Articles / Vsevolozhsk, town

Vsevolozhsk, town

Subject / Topography/Cities

VSEVOLOZHSK, town, adm. center of Vsevolozhsk District. Population: 45,300. It emerged as a station of the Irinovskaya Railroad built by Baron P. L. Korf in 1892 from Bolshaya Okhta (St. Petersburg) to his estate in Irinovka for passenger service and for delivery of peat. The town’s name originates from the name of the Vsevolozhskys, owners of the Ryabovo Estate in 1818–1917 (the current V. comprised Ryabovo village and several other rural settlements.) The park on Mount Rumbolovskaya has survived up to this day (see Red Castle.) In the early 20th century, V. became a popular dacha area. In 1936, Vsevolozhsky settlement became the center of Vsevolozhsk District. Since 1963, a town of Oblast subordination. It consists of several historically formed parts (neighborhoods): Vsevolozhskaya, Berngardovka, Melnichny Ruchey, Yuzhny, Kotovo Pole (the first three are at the railway stations of the same names.) The largest enterprises are JSC Ford Motor Company and JSC Liviz Liquor & Vodka Factory. The town has Vsevolozhsk central district library, Vsevolozhsk museum of local history , “Priyutino” literary and artistic museum estate, and a children’s zoo (see Vsevolozhsk Zoo); work is underway to set up a National Automobile Museum (Yuzhny neighborhood.) Over 20 newspapers are published, incl. “Vsevolozhskiye Vesti” and “Nevskaya Zarya”, and “Myzas and Muses” local history collection. The town has Church of the Holy Face, the Church of Holy Trinity, the Church of St. Constantine and St. Helen Equals to the Apostles (2001), and the Church of St. Martyr and Healer Pantaleon. Poet N. M. Rubtsov lived in V. (Priyutino neighborhood.)

Chistyakov, Anton Yuryevich

Korf, Pavel Leopoldovich
Rubtsov, Nikolay Mikhaylovich
Vsevolozhskys, the

Leningrad Oblast, the/Vsevolozhsk District/Berngardovka
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vsevolozhsk District/Melnichny Ruchey
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vsevolozhsk District/Vsevolozhsk Town/Priyutino Settlement
Topographical landmarks/Rumbolovo Hill
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vsevolozhsk District/Ryabovo
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vsevolozhsk District/Vsevolozhsk Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Vsevolozhsk District/Vsevolozhsk Town

Ивлев В.В. Всеволожский район Ленинградской области: Историко-географический справочник. СПб. 1994. 231 с.: карт.
Зеленин Г.И., Федоров А.Ф. Всеволожск: Из истории города Л., 1966. 76 с.: ил. - Всеволожск. Открытая книга/Главная. URL:
Солохин Н.Д., Венцель И.В. Всеволожск. Путешествие в прошлое. СПб., 2005.

Subject Index
"Granges and Muses", a local history collection
"Krasny Zamok" ("The Red Castle")
"Priyutino", a literary and art estate-museum
Ryabovo, a country estate
The Church of the Holy Trinity (Vsevolozhsk Town)
The Church of the Holy Face (Vsevolozhsk Town)
The Lutheran Church of St. Regina (Vsevolozhsk Town)
The Vsevolozhsk Central Library named after Yu.G. Slepukhin
Vsevolozhsk Museum of the Local History, the
"Vsevolozhsk vesti" ("Vsevolozhsk News"), a newspaper
Vsevolozhsk Zoo, the