Topography/Administrative - territorial division
PODPOROZHYE DISTRICT, municipal entity. Population: 35,200. Area: 7705.5 sq. km. Located in the north-east of Leningrad Oblast. In the north-west and north, it borders Olonets, Pryazha, and Prionezhsky Districts of the Republic of Karelia; in the east, with Vytegra and Babaevo Districts of Vologda Oblast; in the south, with Tikhvin District, and in the west, with Lodeynoye Pole District of Leningrad Oblast. Established in 1927 during the establishment of Leningrad Gubernia in a part of former Lodeynoye Pole Uyezd of Leningrad Gubernia. In 1954, P. D. incorporated the area of abolished Voznesenye District, and in 1965, Vinnitsa District. In the late 19th and early 20th cc., Lodeynoye Pole Uyezd comprised Podporozhye Volost. Apart from the Russians, Vepses live there mostly in the district’s southern part. The district has 69 rural localities, and four urban settlements, namely Voznesenye, Vazhiny, Nikolsky, and the adm. center Podporozhye Town. The Lodeynoye Pole-Vytegra motor road extends in the north of P.D., and there is a developed network of local roads. The Volkhovstroy-Murmansk railway line extends in the north-western part. The district has a large river port of Podporozhye, and several wharfs on the Svir River. The oldest archeological monuments known in the district are dated Neolithic Age (4th and 3rd millenniums BC.) The burial mounds along the Oyat river’s banks are dated 11th -13th centuries. Since the oldest times, the Svir has played a great role in the region’s development as a communication route between the Ladoga, Onega, and Trans-Volok lands, and a center of the region’s socio-economic and cultural life. Since the break of the 1st and 2nd millenniums AD and up to this day, Baltic Finns (Vepses) and Slavs (Russians) have lived side by side in those lands, which is witnessed by unique cultural monuments. P. D. has over 120 architectural monuments, of which over one half are wooden sacred, living, and utility buildings of the 15th – early 20th centuries. Among them are the church of St. George the Victorious (1493) in Yuksovichi village, the Church of Nativity of the Virgin (2nd half of the 17th c.) in Gimreka village, the Church of St. Nicholas the Miracle Worker (1696) in Sogintsi village, the Church of St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki in Scheleiki village, the Church of the Resurrection (1630) in Vazhiny urban settlement, the Church of St. Elias the Prophet (1781) in Kiprushino village and many others; house and barn (mid-19th c.) in Ozyora settlement. The district has many obelisks dedicated to events of WW2. In the southern part of P. D. there is the Veps Forest natural reserve. The district has five culture centers, nine social clubs, 21 libraries, 3 schools of music, local lore museum, school of arts, puppet theater, Veps folklore center, and “Veps Log Hut” private ethnographic museum (Ladva settlement.) The “Svirskiye Ogni” newspaper is published. Since 1987, the “Tree of Life” holiday has been annually celebrated in June in Veps communities. A touring hotel complex has been set up in Verkhniye Mandrogi village.
Yegorov, Sergey Borisovich
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Gimreka Village
Neighbouring Territories/Karelian Republic
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Kiprushino Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Lodeynoye Pole District
Historical Toponyms/Saint Petersburg Gubernia, the/Lodeynoye Pole Uyezd
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Nikolsky Urban Settlement
Topographical landmarks/Oyat River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Ozera Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Podporozhye Town
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Shcheleyki Village
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Sogintsi Village
Topographical landmarks/Svir River, the
Leningrad Oblast, the/Tikhvin District
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Vazhyni Urban Settlement
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Verkhniye Mandrogi Village
Historical Toponyms/Vinnitsa District
Historical Toponyms/Voznesensky District
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Voznesenye Urban Settlement
Leningrad Oblast, the/Podporozhye District/Yuksovichi Village
Белоусов Б.В., Гладкий С.П., Толстых И.С. Подпорожье: Ист.-краевед. очерк Л. 1986.
«Вепсский лес». Природный парк. Путеводитель. Б.г., б.и.
Двас Г.В. Присвирье: 75-летию Ленинградской области посвящается.- СПб., 2002.
Жуков В.И. Красота из глубины веков: Ист.-краеведч. очерк к 45-летию г. Подпорожье. – Подпорожье: ПМ ИПК «Свирские огни», 2001.-55 с.: ил.
Андреева Л.А., Коляда М.И., Кондратьева Е.В. По Ленинградской области. Посвирье, Бокситогорский и Волховский районы. Л., 1978
Культура Ленинградской области на рубеже тысячелетий. СПб., 2003
На берегах Свири // Гоголицын Ю.М., Иванова Т.М. Архитектурная старина. Памятники зодчества Ленинградской области. Л., 1979.
Реестр туристических ресурсов муниципального образования «Подпорожский район». Подпорожье, 2001.
Centre of the Veps folklore, the
Memorials to the Great Patriotic War
"Svirskiye ogni" ("The Svir Lights"), a newspaper
The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God (Gimreka Village, Podporozhsky District)
The Church of St. Demetrius Thessalonica, Great Martyr (Shcheleiki Village, Podporozhsky District)
The Church of St. George the Victorius, Great Martyr (Yuksovichi Village, Podporozhsky Village)
The Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker (Sogintsy Village, Podporozhsky District)
The Church of the Prophet Elijah (Kiprushino Village, Podporozhsky District)
The Church of the Resurrection of Christ (Vazhiny Village, Podporozhsky District)
"The Tree of Life", a vepses festival
"Veps Log Hut", a private ethnographic museum
"Vepssky Les" ("Veps Forest"), a park